Tuesday, September 28, 2010
LA South: The Top 10
By Blair Angulo
Another bad loss is the reason Long Beach Poly fell a few spots this week. Narbonne, Carson and Glendora fell out completely, while rankings newcomer West Covina checks in at No. 8 after three impressive victories. St. John Bosco, which returns to No. 9 after a pair of unranked weeks, has bounced back well from its home loss to Lakewood.
1. (1) Lakewood (4-0) A duel against Long Beach Poly appears to be the only remaining roadblock for the streaking Lancers.
Last week: Beat Leuzinger, 44-0. Next: at Compton, Friday.
2. (2) Serra (4-0) The Cavaliers have been winning big. Problem for future opponents? There doesn't seem to be an end in sight.
Last week: Beat Palos Verdes Peninsula, 48-7. Next: vs. Narbonne, Friday.
3. (3) Bishop Amat (4-0) This tested squad has answered all the calls. Another challenge awaits this week in a battle of unbeatens.
Last week: Beat Damien, 42-7. Next: at Los Angeles Cathedral, Friday.
4. (5) Crenshaw (2-2) The City Section favorites could easily be 4-0, but have become somewhat of an afterthought.
Last week: Beat Riverside J.W. North, 50-3. Next: vs. Culver City, Friday.
5. (6) Dorsey (4-0) Coach Paul Knox couldn't have asked for a better start. The Dons' spread offense is fun to watch, too.
Last week: Beat Compton, 40-7. Next: vs. Mira Mesa, Oct. 8.
6. (4) Long Beach Poly (2-2) A quarterback controversy -- Chaiyse Hales vs. coach Raul Lara's son, Emmanuel -- is the least of Poly's worries.
Last week: Lost to Mission Viejo, 37-7. Next: at Long Beach Jordan, Friday.
7. (7) Compton Dominguez (3-1) A six-point loss to Bishop Amat is the only dent so far, though a possible trap game awaits the Dons.
Last week: Beat Long Beach Jordan, 24-0. Next: vs. Sherman Oaks Notre Dame, Friday.
8. (NR) West Covina (3-1) Things are looking good after three straight wins for the resurgent, run-oriented Bulldogs.
Last week: Beat Glendora, 33-28. Next: at Walnut, Friday.
9. (NR) St. John Bosco (3-1) Bosco didn't look half-bad in a loss to Lakewood earlier this season, but must show more on offense.
Last week: Beat Loyola, 37-15. Next: vs. La Habra, Friday.
10. (NR) Bonita (4-0) The Bearcats join Hacienda League opponent West Covina as teams looking to make noise.
Last week: Beat Baldwin Park, 29-0. Next: at Diamond Bar, Oct. 8.