Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Orange County: The Top 10
By Martin Henderson
The obvious question: Is this the week that the top 10 gets scrambled?
1. (1) Servite (7-0) Friars had their toughest test of the season against Bosco but still pulled through as Malik Felton broke off for 199 yards.
Last week: beat St. John Bosco 32-24. Next: vs. Mater Dei at Angel Stadium, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
2. (2) Mission Viejo (6-0) Diablos got two weeks to prepare for this game that could determine the South Coast League title.
Last week: idle. Next: at San Clemente, Friday, 7 p.m.
3. (3) Mater Dei (5-2) Victory over Lutheran was probably closer than the score, and Sedric Hill (seven catches, 100 yards, two TDs) can pick up the slack when Victor Blackwell is held in check.
Last week: beat Orange Lutheran 28-14. Next: vs. Servite at Angel Stadium, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
4. (4) Tesoro (6-1) Talk about shaky ground, the Titans needed three touchdowns and a controversial pick in the end zone in the last 13 minutes to keep their momentum.
Last week: beat Trabuco Hills 21-14. Next: at Dana Hills, Friday, 7 p.m.
5. (5) Santa Margarita (6-1) The Eagles held serve with sophomore Johnny Stanton at QB in place of starter Adam Young, and it just goes to show how good they are. Stanton threw for 169 yards, rushed for 80 and had a hand in three TDs.
Last week: beat JSerra 35-14. Next: at St. John Bosco, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
6. (6) Edison (5-2) Chargers seem to be struggling a little bit in league after facing Servite and Mater Dei back-to-back. They're hoping Los Al softened up Newport Harbor for them.
Last week: beat Huntington Beach 30-7. Next: vs. Newport Harbor at Huntington Beach, Friday, 7 p.m.
7. (7) San Clemente (7-1) Though a playoff spot is almost a certainty, coach Eric Patton says his team is playing for a league championship. That happens this week.
Last week: beat Dana Hills 42-28. Next: vs. Mission Viejo, Friday, 7 p.m.
8. (10) Los Alamitos (5-2) Nick Richardson returned to the lineup, not that they needed him, in victory over Newport Harbor.
Last week: beat Newport Harbor 30-0. Next: vs. Marina at Veterans Stadium, Friday, 7 p.m.
9. (8) Tustin (6-1) Tyler Siudzinski carried 12 times for 148 yards, and the Tillers rushed for 387 total, giving Yorba Linda an idea of what it will take to win a league title.
Last week: beat Yorba Linda 42-7. Next: vs. La Palma Kennedy, Friday, 7 p.m.
10. (9) Newport Harbor (4-3) One of the most disappointing results in Jeff Brinkley's long tenure with the Sailors, they can redeem themselves this week against Edison.
Last week: lost to Los Alamitos 30-0. Next: vs. Edison at Huntington Beach, Friday, 7 p.m.