Tuesday, November 9, 2010
LA South: The Top 10
By Blair Angulo
1. (1) Serra (9-0) Oh, the luxury of having the offensive weapons to easily erase fourth-quarter deficits. Last week: Beat West Hills Chaminade, 35-21. Next: at Cathedral, Friday.
2. (2) Bishop Amat (9-0) A bye week offered a chance to rest -- but did it come at the wrong time for a streaking team? Last week: Idle. Next: at Alemany, Friday.
3. (3) Crenshaw (7-2) The Cougars can compensate for their two early-season losses with a Coliseum League title on Friday. Last week: Beat Locke, 43-0. Next: at Dorsey, Friday.
4. (4) Long Beach Poly (7-2) Looking like Poly of old, the Jackrabbits hope to build momentum heading into the Pac-5 playoffs. Last week: Beat Cabrillo, 54-2. Next: vs. Compton, Friday.
5. (5) Lakewood (8-1) Senior quarterback Tyler Schultz has been a consistent passer since the demoralizing loss to Poly. Last week: Idle. Next: vs. Long Beach Wilson, Friday.
6. (6) Dorsey (9-0) The chance to knock off rival Crenshaw and back up the perfect record is finally here for the Dons. Last week: Beat Fremont, 48-0. Next: vs. Crenshaw, Friday.
7. (7) Compton Dominguez (8-1) All but assured a high seeding in the Western Division playoff bracket, Dominguez can play defense with the best of them. Last week: Beat Paramount, 52-14. Next: vs. Lynwood, Friday.
8. (8) West Covina (8-1) Back-to-back weeks of facing the No. 2 and No. 3-ranked teams were no biggie for these Bulldogs. Last week: Beat Diamond Ranch, 41-10. Next: vs. Diamond Bar, Friday.
9. (9) Carson (7-2) Maybe the loss to Mission Viejo on Oct. 1 was for the better. Justin Alo is making the City Section take notice. Last week: Beat San Pedro, 27-19. Next: vs. Washington, Friday.
10. (NR) Covina (9-1) The Colts have yet to earn respect in the polls, despite being the only team to knock off mighty West Covina. Last week: Beat San Dimas, 27-23. Next: Idle.