Tuesday, November 16, 2010
LA South: The Top 10
By Blair Angulo
Some slight changes in the final regular-season top 10 rankings. Bishop Amat stays at No. 2 despite its loss at Alemany. We'll take that defeat over Crenhsaw's road loss at Norco and favor the Lancers for playing in the challenging Serra League. Dorsey falls a few spots following the 53-12 loss to rival Crenshaw on Friday.
1. (1) Serra (10-0) The Mission League champs look unstoppable heading into the Western Division playoffs. Last week: Beat Cathedral, 53-10. Next: vs. Beverly Hills, Friday.
2. (2) Bishop Amat (9-1) No perfect regular season, but Amat is seeded in the Pac-5 despite missing out on the Serra League title. Last week: Lost to Alemany, 38-30. Next: vs. Tesoro, Friday.
3. (3) Crenshaw (8-2) Not receiving the No. 1 seeding for the City Section Div. I playoffs was the only thing that soured Crenshaw's weekend. Last week: Beat Dorsey, 53-12. Next: vs. Granada Hills, Friday.
4. (4) Long Beach Poly (8-2) The Moore League's apparent down year means a tougher draw for Poly in the Pac-5 playoffs. Last week: Beat Compton, 47-6. Next: vs. Mater Dei, Friday.
5. (5) Lakewood (9-1) After failing its biggest test of the regular season, Big Red looks to step up when it matters. Last week: Beat Long Beach Wilson, 60-7. Next: vs. San Clemente, Friday.
6. (9) Carson (8-2) A challenging nonleague schedule, plus the competitive Marine League, results in the City Section's top seed. Last week: Beat Washington, 56-6. Next: vs. Sylmar, Friday.
7. (7) Compton Dominguez (9-1) Dominguez may have the defense to challenge powerful Serra, but it needs to get to the title game first. Last week: Beat Lynwood, 49-7. Next: vs. St. Francis, Friday.
8. (6) Dorsey (9-1) What's there to say about the Dons' embarrassing home loss to Crenshaw that already hasn't been said? Last week: Lost to Crenshaw, 53-12. Next: vs. Gardena, Friday.
9. (8) West Covina (9-1) The Bulldogs could tell opponents what's coming -- run, run, run -- and it probably wouldn't matter. Last week: Beat Diamond Bar, 58-20. Next: vs. Bellflower, Friday.
10. (10) Covina (9-1) If there's a dark horse in the Mid-Valley Division, it's Covina: The only team to knock off West Covina. Last week: Idle. Next: vs. La Canada, Friday.