Saturday, December 18, 2010
LA North: Girls basketball top 10
By Tim Haddock
1. Harvard-Westlake – Skylar Tsutsui leads a Harvard-Westlake team that won the CIF Division 4 State championship last year. Tsutsui is averaging 13.4 points per game, but Harvard-Westlake has already lost three games this season. Last year’s Harvard-Westlake team lost only one game. Leslie Schuman is the top rebounder on the team averaging 11.3 per game.
2. Bellarmine-Jefferson – The Bell-Jeff girls reached the second round of the CIF Division 4 state playoffs, losing to Harvard-Westlake, 61-59, last year. This year’s team is off to a 5-1 start, its only loss against Gardena Serra in the Inglewood City of Champions tournament.
3. Canyon – Undefeated Canyon (7-0) won the Ventura Optimist tournament, downing Ventura, 59-44, in the championship game. Senior forward Adriana Dent leads the team in scoring with 15.4 points per game. Sophomore guard Alia McCoy is averaging 11.4 points per game.
4. Buena – Buena won the Buena Kiwanis Tournament, 51-49, over Ventura in the championship game. Buena (7-2) will be traveling to Florida for the Junior Orange Bowl Classic over the winter break.
5. Agoura – After losing its first game of the season, Agoura has won five in a row. Agoura lost to Ventura, 49-43, on opening night on Dec. 8. Agoura begins play in the Santa Barbara Tournament of Champions against Mira Costa on Monday.
6. Ventura – Ventura won its first three games of the season, then ran into some trouble in the Ventura Optimist Tournament. Ventura went 2-3 in the tournament. Meghan Shank leads the team in scoring with 13.8 points per game. Eda Graham is the leading rebounder with 5.6 per game.
7. Oaks Christian – Junior guard Brianna Barrett is averaging 13.8 and 4.7 assists per game for Oaks Christian (7-2). Senior forward Crystal Owusu is averaging 7.4 rebounds and 2.8 steals per game. One of Oaks Christian’s losses was 65-47 to Bell-Jeff in the Inglewood City of Champions tournament.
8. Montclair Prep – Alex Taylor scored 32 points in Montclair Prep’s opening night, 65-55, win over Glendale. Montclair is 3-1 in its first four games and begins play against Morningside in the Marymount Tournament on Monday.
9. Royal – Senior guards Chelsea Jacoby and Kaity Lykins lead the team in nearly every category. Jacoby is averaging 13.6 points per game. Lykins leads the team with 7.9 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 5.0 steals per games after 10 games. Royal is 6-4 and begins play in the Santa Barbara Tournament of Champions against Arroyo Grande on Monday.
10. Burroughs of Burbank – Burroughs is undefeated at 5-0 and won the Valencia High-Five Classic. The Burroughs girls beat Royal, 59-47, in the championship game of the tournament. Senior guard Lisa Elsenbach leads Burrough with 19.6 points, 9.0 rebounds and 8.0 assists per game. Senior guard Justice Shank is averaging 3.2 steals per game.
Mark your calendar:
Dec. 18-21 -- Burroughs basketball tournament: Canyon opened with a 77-31 win over Hoover in the first game of the tournament. Adriana Dent and Tiffini Stone each scored 16 points for Canyon.
Dec. 20-23 – Santa Barbara Tournament of Champions: Agoura opens the tournament against Mira Costa. Buena is scheduled to play Cathedral City from San Diego in the first round. Royal takes on Arroyo Grande in the opening round.
Dec. 21 – Bellarmine-Jefferson at Harvard-Westlake: The two teams met last year in the second round of the CIF Division 4 State Championship tournament. Harvard-Westlake won by two points en route to the state championship.
Dec. 27-31 -- Beverly Hills West Coast Holiday Festival: Harvard-Westlake, Bellarmine-Jefferson and Ventura are in the 32-team tournament.
Dec. 27-30 – Oaks Christian Holiday Hardwood Invitational: Oaks Christian hosts the tournament that includes Agoura, Woodland Hills Taft and Sierra Canyon.