Monday, January 3, 2011
LA North: Five things from the weekend
1. The Woodland Hills Taft boys basketball team lost its first game of the season at the Torrey Pines Tournament in San Diego. Taft actually lost two games in a row after winning its first 11 games. The first loss, 77-75, came against St. Edwards from Lakewood, Ohio, on Dec. 28. The next day, Taft lost to Corona Centennial, 61-58. Taft ended the tournament with a win, 65-53, over Corona Del Mar.
2. The Saugus boys basketball team won the Hart Holiday Classic with a career performance from Jeremy Gatewood. He scored a career-best 34 points and hit seven 3-pointers in his team’s 85-68 win over Hart in the championship game. Saugus improved to 12-4. Brad Buchignani scored 16 points in the championship game for Saugus and earned tournament MVP. Hart’s Austin Maly had a career night too in the championship game. He scored 30 points and made eight 3-pointers.
3. Matt Mounier and the Crespi boys basketball team remained hot during the winter tournament season. Crespi won its second tournament in a row taking the Marin Catholic Tournament with a 69-52 win over University from Irvine in the championship game. Mounier, who won the MVP of the San Fernando Valley Invitational, scored 35 points in the championship game against University. He earned MVP honors in the Marin Catholic Tournament. Crespi has won nine games in row through the San Fernando Valley Invitational and the Marin Catholic Tournament.
4. The Hart girls basketball team won the La Canada Tournament, downing Montclair Prep in the championship game. Hart’s Melissa Boscarino hit the game-winning shot, a last-second 3-pointer from the top of the key that banked in, to give her team a 57-55 win over Montclair Prep. Hart’s Mariah Glasshoff was the tournament MVP. Christina Falcone scored a game-high 20 points for Hart in the championship game.
5. The Knight boys soccer team won the Hart tournament and improved its undefeated record to 11-0. Knight beat Birmingham of Lake Balboa, 1-0, in the championship game. Alex Rodriguez scored the lone goal in the game, heading in a corner kick from Angel Sandoval in the 20th minute. It was the first Hart tournament championship for Knight, which reached the finals in the previous two years. Birmingham has reached the finals of two tournaments and lost both. The Birmingham boys lost in the championship game of the San Pedro Pirate’s Cup in December.