Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Inland Empire: Boys' basketball top 10
By Dan Arritt
Another loss for Etiwanda ends its season-long run at the top of the Inland Empire rankings. Rialto Eisenhower comes up big against Redlands East Valley and Los Angeles Fairfax. Ontario Colony has its long league-winning streak come to an end, and San Bernardino clinches its first league title in 18 years.
1. Corona Centennial, 21-3 (2) – Long Beach State-bound point guard Michael Caffey missed Thursday’s game against Corona Santiago and Friday’s against Norco with a sprained ankle but the Huskies still managed to push winning streak to 13 games. Next up: Tonight vs. Corona at Centennial, 7:30 p.m.
2. Etiwanda, 23-2 (1) – Another loss for the Eagles, this time in Baseline League play, but they can still clinch a title with one more victory. Next up: Tonight vs. Rancho Cucamonga Los Osos at Etiwanda, 6:30 p.m.
3. Murrieta Valley, 21-3 (3) – The Nighthawks clinched the Southwestern League title outright Friday with a 64-38 victory against Murrieta Mesa. Now they can begin focusing on winning a second straight Southern Section championship. Next up: Tonight at Vista Murrieta, 7 p.m.
4. Eisenhower, 16-7 (5) – The Eagles appear to be heading in the right direction after defeating City Section power Fairfax, 53-39, on Saturday at the Nike Extravaganza. Eisenhower had lost to Fairfax, 56-33, back in December. Next up: Tonight at Fontana, 6 p.m.
5. Elsinore, 21-4 (6) – The Tigers won their 19thconsecutive Sunbelt League game and clinched the title outright with a four-point victory Friday against Perris. Next up: Tonight vs. Romoland Heritage at Elsinore, 6:30 p.m.
6. Eastvale Roosevelt, 17-5 (7) – The Mustangs remained one game behind Centennial in Big VIII League play by defeating Corona and Riverside North last week. Roosevelt and Centennial play Thursday in the regular season final at Roosevelt. Next up: Tonight at Riverside King, 7:30 p.m.
7. Fontana Summit, 19-7 (8) – The SkyHawks stayed a game ahead of Riverside Patriot in the Sunkist League by defeating Bloomington and Riverside Norte Vista last week. Summit hosts Patriot on Thursday night. Next up: Tonight vs. Fontana Kaiser at Summit, 6:30 p.m.
8. Colony, 17-9 (4) – Another long league winning streak came to a halt Monday when Montclair defeated Colony, 77-74, ending its run of 60 consecutive victories in the Mt. Baldy League. Next up: Wednesday vs. Ontario at Colony, 6:30 p.m.
9. Upland, 16-9 (NR) – The Highlanders finally looked like the team they were projected to be this season in a 69-65 victory Friday night against Etiwanda, followed by an eight-point win Saturday against JSerra at the Nike Extravaganza. Next up: Tonight vs. Rancho Cucamonga at Upland, 6:30 p.m.
10. San Bernardino, 17-8 (NR) – The Cardinals clinched their first league title since 1993 with a 79-71 victory Monday against San Bernardino Cajon in a San Andreas League game. Next up: Wednesday at San Bernardino Arroyo Valley, 6:30 p.m.
Dropped out: Moreno Valley Rancho Verde, Redlands East Valley.
Just missed: Palm Springs, Victorville Victor Valley, Victorville Silverado, Moreno Valley Canyon Springs, Los Osos.