Los Angeles Preps: Bailey Foster
May, 2, 2011
By Tim Haddock | ESPNLosAngeles.com
- The Chatsworth baseball team tied a school record scoring 28 runs in a 28-0 win over Woodland Hills Taft on Friday. Taft handed Chatsworth an 8-7, extra-inning, loss earlier in the week. Chatsworth might have scored more than 28 runs if not for the high school mercy rule. The game was called after five innings. Chatsworth had 23 hits. Aaron Brown led the barrage with three hits and drove in six runs. Steve Karkenny had three hits and drove in three runs. Not to be lost in the offensive explosion, Chatsworth starter Christian Lopez threw a two-hitter. Chatsworth and El Camino Real, the reigning champions of the West Valley League, are tied for first place in the league standings. The two teams meet twice this week. El Camino is coming off a 3-1 win over Granada Hills. Chris Nicholson drove in all three runs for El Camino with a bases-loaded double in the fifth inning.
- The Valencia baseball team is tied for first with Hart in the Foothill League standings with four games to go. Hart beat Canyon, 2-1, and Valencia lost to West Ranch, 3-1, on Friday. Valencia and Hart each have 8-3 league records. Hart catcher Steve Rosso has the hot bat of late. He drove in two runs with a double in the sixth inning to give Hart a one-run lead. Matt Blake was the hero for West Ranch, driving in two runs in the bottom of the fifth inning. Hart and Valencia do not meet again in league play. Valencia has two games against Saugus (4-7 in league) this week. Hart gets two tough games against West Ranch (6-5 in league) this week.
- The Valencia softball team took another hit in the Foothill League standings, losing to Canyon, 1-0, and dropping to 3-3 in league play. Meanwhile, Hart, Saugus and West Ranch are all tied for first place in the Foothill League standings with 4-2 records. West Ranch beat Saugus, 2-0, to climb into the first-place mix. West Ranch starter Bailey Foster tossed a two-hitter with seven strikeouts to shut down Saugus. It was the first time Saugus, averaging 11 runs per game, was shut out all season. Valencia plays West Ranch and Hart hosts Saugus at the Hart PONY Complex on Tuesday.
- The Burroughs of Burbank boys volleyball team won the Crescenta Valley tournament for the second year in a row, beating Oaks Christian handily in two games, 25-17, 25-17, in the championship match. Daniel Jacobs, an all-tournament selection, had eight kills for Burroughs in the championship match. He collected 18 kills in the tournament. Lucas Yanez also earned a spot on the all-tournament team and recorded 17 kills in the tournament. Setter Tyler Yanez had 44 assists in the tournament.
- The Chaminade boys volleyball team won the silver division of the Redondo Union tournament with a two-game win over Peninsula in the championship match at Torrance High School. TJ Henzgen had eight kills and Mitch Siam had seven kills for Chaminade in the championship match. Chaminade beat La Jolla in two games in the semifinals and Simi Valley in three games in the quarterfinals of the tournament. Chaminade was a bit of a surprise winner in the tournament. The Eagles have an 8-10 overall record and have lost three of their past four matches in the Mission League. In the championship match of the gold division of the Redondo Union tournament, Mira Costa beat San Clemente in two games.