Only one team in the top 10 lost last week. Sherman Oaks Notre Dame, the No. 10 team in the L.A. North, lost to Crespi, 28-26, in the Serra League opener. It was a close game and another tough loss for Notre Dame, which dropped its second in a row.
Enter Thousand Oaks at No. 10. The Lancers can make a mess of the Marmonte League if they can figure out a way to beat Oaks Christian on Friday night.
Four teams remain undefeated, including top-ranked Westlake. St. Francis needed a last-second field goal to beat Harvard-Westlake and stay unbeaten. Canyon got a record-breaking performance from quarterback Jonathan Jerozal in its Foothill League opening win over Saugus. Ventura scored just enough to beat Dos Pueblos in the Channel League opener for both teams.
Here’s a look at the top 10:
(1) Westlake (6-0) -- Dashon Hunt scored three touchdowns in Westlake’s 45-14 win over Simi Valley. He scored two rushing touchdowns and intercepted a pass for a touchdown.
(2) Crespi (5-1) -- Crespi’s offense was far from crisp in a 28-26 win over Sherman Oaks Notre Dame. Special teams, on the other hand, came up with some huge plays. Crespi had a kick-off return for a touchdown and a blocked field-goal attempt for a touchdown. A blocked punt set up a third touchdown for the Celts.
(3) Alemany (5-2) -- The Warriors started Serra League play with a huge win over Bishop Amat, 26-21. Coach Dean Herrington won his 50th game at Alemany. Quarterback Devon Dunn wasn’t spectacular but threw a touchdown pass to Jerico Richardson and rushed for a touchdown.
(4) Chaminade (5-1) -- After playing some of the top teams in Southern California, Chaminade had a bit of a cakewalk against St. Paul, the No. 1 team in the Southern Section Western Division. Chaminade, the No. 2 team in the Western Division, beat St. Paul, 31-6, in the Mission League opener. Looks as if there will be a new Western Division No. 1 on Monday.
(5) Oaks Christian (4-2) -- Sophomore quarterback Brian Dawkins threw for 387 yards and four touchdowns in his team’s 50-0 shutout over Royal. Dawkins broke Jimmy Clausen’s school record for passing yards in a game. Clausen threw for 367 yards against Santa Paula in 2006.
(6) St. Bonaventure (5-1) – Quarterback Marc Evans accounted for five touchdowns in his team’s 38-6 win over Newbury Park. He threw four touchdown passes and rushed for a touchdown. Elijah Henderson caught two of Evans’ TD tosses.
(7) Canyon (6-0) – Quarterback Jonathan Jerozal threw for 207 yards and three touchdowns in a 51-28 win over Saugus. Jerozal broke the school record for career touchdown passes. He has 62 and broke the mark set by Nate Longshore.
(8) St. Francis (6-0) – Kicker Billy McCreary made a 37-yard field goal with two seconds left in the game to give St. Francis a 23-20 win over Harvard-Westlake. He made three field goals in the game.
(9) Ventura (7-0) – Conner Armstrong and Leo Camacho scored the only two touchdowns in Ventura’s 13-6 win over Dos Pueblos. Armstrong finished with 104 yards in 24 carries.
(NR) Thousand Oaks (5-1) – The Lancers beat Agoura, 37-13, for their third win in a row. More important, Thousand Oaks has only one loss in Marmonte League play. Quarterback Clark Abourisk threw five touchdown passes, three to Landon Poling, against Agoura.