Etiwanda, Corona Centennial and Murrieta Valley continue to be the class of the Inland Empire, with Moreno Valley Rancho Verde and Upland a step behind. After that, it's a bit of a free for all. Rialto Eisenhower showed it's better than its record would indicate, while Ontario Colony might not be, as it barely got by Chino Don Lugo in its Mt. Baldy League opener.
1. Etiwanda, 15-0 (1) – The Eagles defeated Rancho Cucamonga, 77-64, in both team’s Baseline League opener Friday night. The score was closer than it would indicate, as Etiwanda pulled its starters late and the Cougars kept theirs in. Next up: Tonight vs. Glendora at Etiwanda.
2. Centennial, 12-3 (2) – Dominique Dunning had 23 points and 11 rebounds Thursday in a 67-42 victory at Riverside North. Senior point guard Michael Caffey scored 23 points in a 74-30 win against Riverside Poly last Tuesday. Caffey, who doesn’t draw as much attention as Dunning or Gelaun Wheelwright, is averaging 18 point at 6.5 assists. Next up: Tonight at Norco.
3. Murrieta Valley, 13-2 (3) – Justin Gudger scored a season-high 32 points in a 67-55 victory last Tuesday at La Puente Bishop Amat. Gudger also sank a season-high four three-pointers on six attempts. He came back Friday and scored 22 points in a 63-50 noleague victory against San Diego. Next up: Wednesday vs. Temecula Valley at Murrieta.
4. Rancho Verde, 13-3 (4) – Deshon Taylor, a 5-11 freshman guard, scored 22 points Monday night in a 60-53 victory against Moreno Valley Canyon Springs. Taylor obviously isn’t afraid to shoot the ball, hitting a few three-point baskets that were estimated to be 10 feet beyond the arc. Next up: Wednesday at Moreno Valley Valley View.
5. Upland, 12-3 (5) – The Highlanders knocked off host Mira Loma Alta Loma, 77-42, on Friday night. Their schedule ramps up considerably this week with games against Rancho Cucamonga Los Osos and Etiwanda. Next up: Tonight vs. Los Osos at Upland.
6. Victorville Victor Valley, 14-2 (8) – The Jackrabbits continue to be the Kings of the high desert, knocking off host Apple Valley Granite Hills, 64-43, on Wednesday, and then topping visiting Ridgecrest Burroughs, 80-59, on Friday. Next up: Wednesday vs. Victorville Silverado at Victor Valley.
7. Elsinore, 12-3 (9) – Lawrence Chamberlain, a 6-3 junior guard, scored 30 points Friday night in a 74-65 nonleague victory at Temecula Great Oak, a tune-up for the start of Sunbelt League play this week. Next up: Tonight vs. Lake Elsinore Lakeside at Elsinore.
8. Eisenhower, 8-6 (NR) – After losing four of five at the end of December, the Eagles showed they aren’t to be counted out after hammering previously ranked Fontana Summit, 64-45, on Wednesday. Keyon Sayles had 29 points and 11 rebounds in the win for Eisenhower. Next up: Tonight vs. Fontana Miller at Eisenhower.
9. Palm Springs, 13-1 (NR) – The Indians won their biggest Desert Valley League game of the season in impressive fashion, limiting host Palm Desert to 18% shooting in a 49-27 victory Friday night. Next up: Thursday vs. La Quinta at Palm Springs.
10. Colony, 9-7 (10) – The Titans ran their Mt. Baldy League winning streak to 52 games last week. They edged host Don Lugo, 81-78, in the league opener Wednesday, getting 18 points from junior guard Miles Poullard and 16 from senior guard Josiah Dennis. Next up: Wednesday at Chino.
Out: Summit, Redlands East Valley.
Just missed: Chino Hills Ayala, Chino Hills, Eastvale Roosevelt.