1. Foothill made a strong bid last week for the Orange County top 10. After beating Anaheim Canyon for the second time, 82-71, to pull even with the Comanches atop the Century League, Foothill avenged a loss to Esperanza with a 60-56 victory on Saturday. James Marinacci scored 16, and Connor Stevens 11 and Justin Davis 10 as the Knights overcame a 47-43 deficit heading into the fourth quarter.
2. Santa Margarita coach Jerry DeBusk announced Saturday that he was retiring at the end of this season. DeBusk has coached the Eagles for 20 seasons and has a 463-133 record at the school. Although only 13-11 this season, Santa Margarita was ranked No. 4 in the Southern Section Division 3A poll last week. DeBusk will remain at the school as an instructor in the Auxilliary Studies Program.
3. Ocean View scored 41 points in the first quarter of its 90-45 victory over Orange. According to the CIF-Southern Section Record Book, the record for most points scored in a quarter is 54 by Perris against Norte Vista in 1976-77; the record in Orange County is 44 by Santa Ana Valley against Estancia in 1977-78. For Ocean View, it averaged a point every 11.7 seconds in the quarter. The Sea Hawks led after the first eight minutes, 41-10. The Sea Hawks clearly turned down the heat after that as Cristian Rivera scored only 11 points and Conor Clifford eight; both average 14 per game. The leading scorer was Robby Weaver with 18 points, more than three times his average. For the game, Ocean View shot 58.1 percent from the field, and made nine of 21 three-point baskets.
4. Orange Lutheran has Arizona-bound guard Gabe York back in the lineup. York returned last week and scored 16, 34 and 25 points, the latter in a 92-84 loss to L.A. Loyola in the Fairfax State Preview Classic; Lutheran led 52-50 at halftime but was outscored 23-13 in the third quarter. Loyola is ranked No. 4 in the state (and in Southern Section Division 1AA), and Lutheran -- because of losses in the wake of York's recovery from appendicitis -- is No. 2 in Division 1A. Lutheran went 2-4 without York in the lineup; the Lancers are 12-3 with him. Lutheran has a home game Wednesday against Mater Dei, the No. 1-ranked team in the state, Lutheran beat the Monarchs on the OLu campus. The Lancers follow with a game Saturday against the No. 2 team in the state, Long Beach Poly.
5. A steal and last-second shot by Bonnie Samuelson gave Edison the Southern Section Division 1A championship last season over Fullerton Troy, and the teams faced each other Saturday for the first time since that controversial title game in a nonleague meeting. Although Samuelson is at Stanford, her sisters helped lead the Chargers to victory once again. Karlie Samuelson scored 23 and Katie Lou Samuelson scored 14 (as did Rilee Horton) in a 67-59 victory. Although the championship was decided after an inbounds pass with 5.9 seconds remaining, this was decided in the first quarter as Edison broke to an 18-10 lead; it was 49-49 after that. Edison is ranked No. 5 in Division 1AA, and Troy is No. 6.