Los Angeles Preps: Hayo Carpenter
October, 31, 2011
By Tim Haddock | ESPNLosAngeles.com
Tim Haddock For ESPNLA.comArleta's Dejon Coleman set a school record with 330 yards rushing vs. Jefferson last week.
- Upon further review, Arleta running back Dejon Coleman rushed for 330 yards and set a school record against Jefferson in his team’s 45-7 win on Friday afternoon. Coleman scored three touchdowns in the game and has 36 touchdowns on the season. El Camino Real running back Kawan Rally had a record-setting weekend too. He rushed for four touchdowns against Chatsworth and set a school record with 62 touchdowns for his high school career. El Camino won, 49-20, over its West Valley League rival.
- A week after committing to San Jose State, Highland quarterback Christian Tago had one of his best games of his high school career. He passed for 294 yards and two touchdowns in Highland’s 35-0 win over Eastside in a Golden League game. Highland is tied for first place in the Golden League with Quartz Hill and Eastside. Highland receiver Leonard Merriweather caught five of Tago’s passes for 130 yards. He also rushed for 126 yards and scored two touchdowns.
- Camarillo receiver Jake Maulhardt caught 10 passes for 203 yards and three touchdowns against Pacifica. He has 100 catches on the season, putting him in an elite group of receivers in CIF-Southern Section history. Thousand Oaks receiver Richard Mullaney set the Southern Section record with 122 receptions in his senior season in 2010. Pepe Villasenor from St. Bonaventure and Hayo Carpenter from Ridgecrest Burroughs are second on the Southern Section reception list at 111. Maulhardt has at least two more games and playoffs to move up on the receptions list.
- Amy Weissenbach, one of the most decorated and accomplished runners in Harvard-Westlake history, has committed to Stanford. She is the National Federation High School record holder in the 800 and the reigning Gatorade National Girls Track and Field Althlete of the Year. She is a two-time CIF state champion in the 800 and was on the Harvard-Westlake distance medley relay team that set a national high school record. Weissman was on the Harvard-Westlake cross country team that won the CIF Division IV state championship in 2009. Calabasas senior Walker Huddy will commit to Cal and play on the school’s golf team. Huddy won the Marmonte League championship and most valuable player as a sophomore and was an All Marmonte League first team selection in his junior year.
- The South Hills girls' volleyball team won the Crescenta Valley tournament, downing Pasadena Poly, 25-17, 25-22, in the gold division championship match. Sydney West earned tournament MVP playing for South Hills. Sydney La Follette and Zoe Herrera from South Hills were selected to the all-tournament team. The Van Nuys girls' volleyball team won the silver division championship, defeating L.A. Baptist, 25-15, 18-25, 15-11. Van Nuys did not win a match in pool play, but beat Righetti in the quarterfinals and Maranatha in the semifinals to reach the championship match.