Los Angeles Preps: Michael Sanders
- The Harvard-Westlake girls track and field team won the CIF Southern Section Division III championship behind a school-record performance in the 4 x 400 relay. The team of Lauren Hansson, Cami Chapus, KC Cord and Amy Weissenbach won the 4 x 400 relay in 3 minutes 48.14 seconds. Chapus won the Division III 1,600 and 3,200 races. Weissenbach, the reigning state champion in the 800, won the Division III 800 race in 2:08.61. She was also third in the 1,600. Hansson was second in the Division III 400 race. The Harvard-Westlake girls scored 66 points. San Luis Obispo was second with 52.
- Agoura’s Jonathan Cabral broke the CIF Southern Section Division III record in the 110 hurdles and won two events at the Division III track and field meet at Cerritos College. He won the 110 hurdles in 13.54 seconds, breaking the mark set by Steve Kerho of Mission Viejo in 1982. Cabral also won the 300 hurdles in 37.17 seconds. The Sherman Oaks Notre Dame boys track and field team showed off its depth and won the Southern Section Division III championship. The Notre Dame boys didn’t win a single event, but Khalfani Muhammad was second in the 100 and 200 behind Covina’s Remontay McClain. Notre Dame had three runners place in the top five in the 100. Eric McDaniel was fourth and Jon Simon was fifth.
- The Saugus girls track and field field finished second in the CIF Southern Section Division II meet at Cerritos College. Senior Kaylin Mahoney won her second Southern Section championship, taking the Division II 3,200 race in 10 minutes 38.03 seconds. It was her second CIF Southern Section championship. She won the 3,200 as a sophomore two years ago. Mahoney was one of three runners from Saugus to finish in the top five in the 3,200. Stephanie Bulder was third and Karis Frankian was fourth. Bulder won the Division II 1,600 race in 4:53.51. It was her first CIF Southern Section championship. Jenna Vincej, the reigning Division II 400 champion from Saugus, finished second in this year’s race in 56.60 seconds. She was also on the 4 x 400 relay team with Nicole Penick, Jessica Gill and Emily Orr that finished fourth in the Division II race in 3:55.59. Vincej also finished sixth in the Division II 200 race.
- The Granada Hills High School boys volleyball team won the CIF City Section Division I championship, sweeping Palisades at Venice High. Granada Hills won its fourth CIF championship in the past six years. It was the eighth CIF City Section championship in school history and the fifth in Division I. Granada Hills won the match, 25-20, 25-21, 25-19. The Highlanders lost only one game in the playoffs. All-City setter Jose Juarez guided a balanced offense with 25 assists. Robert Nguyen had 15 digs.
- The Verdugo Hills boys volleyball team lost the Southern Section Division II championship match in four games to LA Jordan. Verdugo Hills was playing for its first CIF championship in boys volleyball. CJ Suarez had 13 kills and Michael Sanders recorded 35 assists for Verdugo Hills. The Burroughs of Burbank boys volleyball team lost the Southern Section Division III championship match in four games to Valley Christian of Cerritos. Burroughs came in to the final match as the top-seeded team in the Division III bracket. Valley Christian was No. 2. Sophomore Daniel Jacobs led Burroughs with 11 kills.