Los Angeles Preps: Oaks Chrisitan
- San Fernando senior Jose Reyes threw his first career no-hitter and beat Roosevelet, 3-0, in the Tiger Classic tournament on Saturday. Reyes stuck out nine and walked two. He also drove in a run. Kevin Martinez had three hits and drove in a run for San Fernando. Willie Vazquez knocked in a run with an RBI double as San Fernando improved to 11-2.
- The Valencia baseball team is crushing teams of late. The Vikings are averaging 9.2 runs in the first nine games of the season. In their last four games, the Vikings, ranked No. 2 in the CIF Southern Section Division I poll, are averaging 12 runs. They are coming off a 17-13 win over Saugus in a Foothill League game Friday. Shane Zeile, nephew of former Dodger Todd Zeile, hit two home runs and drove in six. James Bonds went 5-for-5 with three doubles and two RBIs. For Zeile, it was his third homer in the past two games. He has four home runs on the season with 12 RBIs and is hitting .500 (15-for-30).
- Across town at Hart High School in Newhall, the Indians are winning with pitching and defense. Six of the team’s 11 wins have come via shutout. Erik Vogel shut out West Ranch 2-0 on Friday in a Foothill League game. He tossed a three-hitter and struck out three. Tyler Glasnow and Ricky Torres combined to shut out Canyon of Anaheim, 9-0, in the OC Nissan Tournament on Saturday. Glasnow started the game, struck out nine and gave up only four hits in six innings. Torres pitched a perfect seventh inning, striking out two of the three batters he faced. Hart and Valencia meet for the second time this season on April 13. Valencia won the first meeting between the two teams, 9-8, on March 30.
- The Valencia softball team won its second tournament, beating Santiago Corona, 2-1, in the championship game of the Stu Penter Classic in Norco. Valencia pitcher Carly Mortensen earned tournament MVP. She struck out nine in the championship game. Justine Sibthorp hit a solo home run in the fifth inning that proved to be the difference. Valencia is ranked ninth in the nation by ESPN Rise and third in the CIF Southern Section Divison I poll. The Vikings also won the Tournament of Champions in Bullhead City, Ariz., and have lost only one game. Valencia lost to Riverside Poly, 3-1, in a rain-shortened game in the Nike/ESPN Rise Faster to First tournament.
- Oaks Christian freshman Kristin Cullen no-hit Nordhoff with 17 strikeouts in her team’s 9-0 win in the Tri-Valley League. Hanah Roberg drove in four runs and was 3-for-4 with two triples. Kiana Quolas was 3-for-4 with three doubles and scored three runs. Oaks Christian has won 12 games in a row, includling two in the Birmingham Tournament over the weekend. Quolas tossed a three-hit shuout with seven strikeouts and beat Canyon 3-0 on Saturday.