Los Angeles Preps: Ryan Manoogian
May, 29, 2012
By Tim Haddock | ESPNLosAngeles.com
- Westlake defensive back Dashon Hunt picked up his ninth scholarship offer. Boise State joined the fray. Hunt, who will be a senior in the fall, has verbally declared to UCLA, but is still receiving offers from other colleges. He is the 12th ranked defensive back in the country by ESPNU. He has received offers from USC, Washington and Colorado among others. “I’m keeping my options wide open for any college that shows me interest at this point,” Hunt said in a text message.
- The Mira Costa boys volleyball team won the Southern California Regional Division II championship in five games over Oak Park at Irvine Valley College. Mira Costa, ranked No. 2 in the nation by ESPN HS, won its second regional championship in the past three years. Oak Park won the first game, 26-24, then dropped the next two. Mira Costa lost the fourth game, again by a score of 26-24, before winning the fifth game, 20-18. Mira Costa’s Christopher Orenic had a match-high 33 kills. Justin Parks had 23 kills and 12 digs for Oak Park. Oak Park won the Southern Section Division II championship and made its first appearance in the Southern California Regional playoffs.
- The Windward boys volleyball team won the Southern California Regional Division III championship, sweeping Campbell Hall in the title match. Windward’s Ryan Manoogian had 12 kills and eight digs to lead his team. Robert Cavanaugh recorded 26 assists and had trouble finding a flow in the Campbell Hall attack. Campbell Hall reached the semifinals of the Southern Section Division IV playoffs and lost to Santa Monica.
- Only one seeded team remains in the CIF Southern Section Division 1 playoffs. Mater Dei from Santa Ana, the No. 2 seed in the playoffs, takes on Newbury Park tonight in the semifinals at Blair Field at Long Beach State. Mater Dei is coming of a 5-2 win over Esperanza in the quarterfinals. Newbury Park, behind ace Luke Eubank, eliminated Saugus, 7-3, in their quarterfinal game. West Ranch plays Corona in the other semifinal at Blair Field at 4 today. West Ranch upset top-seeded Orange Lutheran, 5-4, in the quarterfinals. Corona, a wild-card team from the Big VIII League, has won four playoff games in a row and eliminated El Dorado, 7-4, in the quarterfinals. No. 3 seed JW North lost to Saugus, 7-4, in the second round. Third-seeded Long Beach Poly lost to Huntington Beach, 2-1, in the first round.
- San Fernando, the reigning City Section Division I champion, is still alive in the playoffs. The third-seeded Tigers play second-seeded Chatsworth in the semifinals at USC on Wednesday at 3 p.m. Neither team has allowed a run in the playoffs. San Fernando shut out Granada Hills, 3-0, in the first round, then ousted Birmingham, 2-0, in the quarterfinals. Chatsworth blanked Bell, 6-0, in the first round and Woodland Hills Taft, 11-0, in the quarterfinals. Top-seeded El Camino Real plays fourth-seeded San Pedro in the other semifinal at USC. El Camino Real beat Verdugo Hills, 5-1, to reach the semifinals. San Pedro beat Kennedy, 5-4, in the quarterfinals.