COLLEGE: UCR matches 2010, in one game
UC Riverside's women's soccer team won one game and scored three goals in 2010. The Highlanders matched that Friday night.
Aaren Casimiro (Murrieta/Chaparral HS) and Deborah Musa (La Verne/Bonita HS) scored first-half goals two minutes apart and Andrea Morales added a second-half tally as UC Riverside (1-1-1) routed Mississippi State, 3-0, in its annual Women's Soccer Invitational.
It's a big step forward following last year's 1-14-3 campaign, in which UCR was outscored, 25-3, and after five seasons of decline since going 11-4-6 and playing in the NCAA tournament in 2005.
Head coach Veronica O'Brien, who took charge when the Highlanders made the jump to Division I in 2001, posted double-digit victories in five straight seasons, through 2006, but her teams have won just seven Big West Conference games in five years and is 1-13-2 the past two.
She's got nine starters back and loads of newcomers -- 17 freshmen are on the roster, with midfielder Brianna Gonzalez (Victorville/Sultana HS) and redshirt goalkeeper Jessica Olafsen in the starting lineup Friday -- as the rebuild begins in earnest.
UCR meets San Jose State in Sunday's tournament finale. The Spartans lost, 2-1, in overtime to No. 13 UC Irvine in the event's opener. Amanda Hardeman (Laguna Niguel/Dana Hills HS and Santiago Canyon College) scored the 101st-minute winner, a blast that ricocheted off the crossbar, off goalkeeper Meghan Maiwald's back and into the net.
WILLIAMS TOPS TITANS: Freshman Lynn Williams scored in the final minute to force overtime and again in the extra period, lifting Pepperdine to a 2-1 victory at Cal State Fullerton. The Waves (3-0-0) rallied quickly after Stacey Cox (Simi Valley/Royal HS) scored a would-be winner in the 84th minute for the Titans (1-1-1).
- No. 15 UCLA is 2-0-0 after a late rally for a 2-1 victory at Tennessee. Zakiya Bywaters scored in the 81st minute and Sydney Leroux netted the winner in the 85th in front of 2,046, the fifth-largest crowd in Vols history.
- Brittany Kerridge scored one goal and set up another, but USC fell to 0-3-0 with a 3-2 loss to Kansas at USD's tournament. Jamie Fletcher netted the winner in the 63rd minute for the Jaykawks (2-1-0).
- Long Beach State suffered its first loss, 3-2 at UW Milwaukee (3-0-0), which got two goals from Sarah Hagen, the second on a penalty kick. Nadia Link (Rowland Heights/Walnut HS) gave the 49ers (2-1-0) a fourth-minute lead and assisted a 71st-minute equalizer by Kelsey Wilson (San Clemente/San Clemente HS).
- Tawni Martino (Irvine/Beckman HS) and Brittney Sanford scored their second goals of the season -- Sanford's, like her first, on a penalty kick -- and Loyola Marymount (3-0-0) routed Long Island, 3-0.
'EATERS START STRONG: The NCAA Division I men's soccer season began Friday, No. 17 UC Irvine claimed a 1-0 victory over visiting San Diego. Christian Hernandez (Palmdale/Palmdale HS) scored from a scramble in the box in the 75th minute.
In other men's action:
- Cal State Fullerton pulled out a 1-0 win over neighboring Hope International, with freshman Ian Thomas' goal the difference, after outshooting the Royals, 22-6. There were 14 yellow cards, seven on each side.
- Cal State Northridge's Tony Davila won his 100th game as a Big West coach, a 2-0 decision over Canisius, as Chris Smith (Palmdale/Quartz Hill HS) scored from 30 yards and Christian Gonzalez (Mission Viejo/Mission Viejo HS) from a corner kick.
- Anaheim's unaffiliated Bethesda Christian swept three teams in Oregon, with Cheunyong Park scoring three goals.
Corban (Ore.) 2 (Kinnes 38, Chaney 78), Bethesda Christian 3 (Lim 7, Park 19, 47)
Vanguard 1 (Pellow 4), La Sierra 2 (Fontes 49, Ornelas 89)
Bethesda Christian 2, Trinity Lutheran (Wash.) 1
Azusa Pacific 1 (Nienhuis 23), Grand Canyon 2 (Sykes 54, Robinson 76)
Westmont 1 (Siemens 21), Oklahoma Baptist 2 (Costa 66, 85)
Oregon Tech 2 (Corona 58, 88), Bethesda Christian 3 (Ruiz 5, Dean 31, Park pen. 64)
Cal State Fullerton 1 (Ramos 78), Hope International 0
Cal State Northridge 2 (Smith 26, Gonzalez 67), Canisius 0
UC Irvine 1 (Hernandez 75), San Diego 0
Vanguard 2 (Pellow 81, Ilich 87), Ashland (Iowa) 3 (Cruz 27, pen. 49, Butcher 73)
Concordia 5 (Franco 28, Lopez 54, Turner 54, Kortizija 66. 82), Northwest 2 (Field 69, Wilson 70)
Azusa Pacific 2 (Hardy 80, Sun 92), Trinity Western 1 (Webber 50), OT
Baylor 1 (Huggins 9), Cal State Northridge 0
Cal State Fullerton 1 (Fox 84), Pepperdine 2 (Williams 90, 96), OT
Loyola Marymount 3 (Martino 4, Rementer 52, Sanford 63), Long Island 0
Marymount 1, Fresno Pacific 4 (Castillo NA, NA, Slocum 29, Hamilton NA)
Tennessee 1 (Hatcher 63), UCLA 2 (Bywaters 81, Leroux 85)
UC Irvine 2 (Ledezma 52, Hardeman 101), San Jose State 1 (Ruder 78)
UC Riverside 3 (Casimiro 28, Musa 30, Morales 79), Mississippi State 0
USC 2 (Noriega 5, Kerridge 41), Kansas 3 (Grow 16, Berry 38, Fletcher 63)
UW Milwaukee 3 (Hagen 16, pen. 37, Thompson 80), Long Beach State 2 (Link 4, Wilson 81)
Home teams listed first