COLLEGE: UC Davis upsets winless UCLA
UCLA doesn't look much like the title contender it might be destined to become -- not yet. The Bruins, ranked as high as fourth nationally, lost again Sunday, leaving them winless in three games.
Alex Henry's goal nearly 10 minutes into overtime carried UC Davis to a 2-1 home triumph, the Aggies' first victory over UCLA in program history.
“Our team executed our tactics perfectly today, and I knew that eventually we were going to get one on them,” UC Davis coach Dwayne Shaffer told his school's athletics website. “It's a huge win for our program, and it means a lot not only to our players, but to our entire athletics department.”
Chandler Hoffman scored from Kelyn Rowe's through ball in the 87th minute to give life to the Bruins, who were down to 10 men after Ryan Lee's red card four minutes earlier.
Goalkeeper Omar Zeenni (Arcadia/Crespi Carmelite HS) made eight saves for UC Davis (1-1-1).
UCLA (0-2-1) lost its opener at No. 1 Louisville and tied Santa Clara on Friday. The first home game is Friday night at Drake Stadium against St. Mary's.
In other men's action:
- Christian Hernandez (Palmdale/Palmdale HS) scored his third and fourth goals as No. 14 UC Irvine (4-0-0) topped visiting Drake, 2-1.
- David Opoku's 16th-minute goal gave No. 9 UC Santa Barbara (3-0-0) a Carolina sweep with a 1-0 victory at North Carolina State.
- Jake Dobkins and Omar Mata scored goals seven minutes apart to give Tulsa a 2-1 win over No. 25 Loyola Marymount (1-2-0).
- Nick Echeverry (Anaheim/Servite HS) scored just 19 seconds after kickoff, enough for Chapman (2-0-0) in a 1-0 win over Puget Sound.
- Cal Lutheran got its season off to a dream start -- Raul Yepez (Oxnard/Pacifica HS) scores twice in the first 29 minutes -- but Fontbonne, from St. Louis, rallied for a 3-2 victory.
- Matt Sykes' penalty kick in overtime carried Grand Canyon to a 2-1 win over Cal Poly Pomona (1-1-0).
THREE IN A ROW FOR USC: Courtney Garcia (Yorba Linda/Esperanza HS), just moments after coming off the bench, knocked home an overtime rebound, and USC (3-3-0) rallied for its third successive win, a 2-1 decision at Purdue.
Elizabeth Eddy (Newport Beach/Newport Harbor HS) scored an equalizer in the 63rd minute for USC, which beat No. 17 Illinois in Friday's opener at the Illini/Boilermaker Cup.
In other women's action:
- Freshman Megan Oyster scored her first collegiate goal, lifting sixth-ranked UCLA (4-0-1) past Rutgers, 1-0, in the Bruins' home opener.
- Heidi Farran (San Pedro/San Pedro HS) tallied in the fifth and 21st minutes, and Brielle Slepicoff (Saugus/Saugus HS) had a goal and assist as Cal State Northridge (1-4-0) dominated Princeton, 3-1.
- Nadia Link (Rowland Heights/Walnut HS) scored two more goals -- her fifth and sixth of the young season -- and assisted the opener by Shawna Gordon (Rancho Cucamonga/Los Osos HS) as Long Beach State (4-2-0) beat visiting Hawaii, 3-0.
- Kayde Hensley converted a first-half penalty kick and Vanessa Ybarra (Murrieta/Vista Murrieta HS) added a second-half goal as UC Riverside (3-2-1) beat visiting Southern Utah, 2-0.
- No. 24 Pepperdine is off to a 5-0-1 start after pulling away late for a 3-0 win over visiting Michigan. Anisa Guajardo scored twice, Laura Cole (Whittier/La Habra HS) added a goal and an assist, and Lynn Williams assisted two goals.
- Dutch freshman Linda Bakker scored two first-half goals and set up Cori McGovern on a corner kick as Loyola Marymount (4-1-1) dominated Cal State Bakersfield, 3-0.
- Kendra Pemberton's goal in overtime lifted Utah State to a 1-0 win over Cal State Fullerton (1-3-1), which lost twice in Utah.
Cal Lutheran 2 (Yepez 14, 29), Fontbonne (Mo.) 3 (Williams 65, 67, Chafin 75)
Chapman 1 (Echeverry 1), Puget Sound 0
Grand Canyon 2 (Aust 31, Sykes pen. 101), Cal Poly Pomona 1 (Gonzalez 62), OT
La Sierra 1 (Hernandez 86), McPherson 0
North Carolina State 1 (Opoku 16), UC Santa Barbara 0
Tulsa 2 (Dobkins 73, Mata 80), Loyola Marymount 0
UC Davis 2 (Aguiar 48, Henry 100), UCLA 1 (Hoffman 87)
UC Irvine 2 (Hernandez 39, 65), Drake 1 (Boyer 75)
Pomona-Pitzer 4 (Maier 10, Munoz 55, 62, Halpern 62), Carthage (Wis.) 1 (Dombrowski 33)
Cal State Northridge 3 (Farran 5, 21, Slepicoff 65), Princeton 1 (Blosser 85)
Cal State San Marcos 2 (Johnson 18, Bush 51), La Verne 0
Long Beach State 3 (Gordon 9, Link 16, 48), Hawaii 0
Loyola Marymount 3 (Bakker 9, 34, McGovern 59), Cal State Bakersfield 0
Pacific Lutheran 0, Cal Lutheran 3 (Armenta 47, Hulse 51, Cameron 84)
Pepperdine 3 (Guajardo 17, 77, Cole 76), Michigan 0
Purdue 1 (Warren 40), USC 2 (Eddy 63, Garcia 98), OT
UC Riverside 2 (Hensley pen. 32, Ybarra 67), Southern Utah 0
UCLA 1 (Oyster 33), Rutgers 0
Utah State 1 (Pemberton 101), Cal State Fullerton 0, OT
Home teams listed first