COLLEGE: UCLA tops St. Mary's for first win
UCLA finally has a victory. Another might boost the Bruins back into the top 25.Chandler Hoffman scored his third goal of the season and All-American Kelyn Rowe added another to lift UCLA (1-2-1), one of the chief preseason NCAA title favorites, to a 2-1 triumph Friday night over St. Mary's at Drake Stadium.
The Bruins, ranked sixth in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America preseason poll (and as high as No. 2 elsewhere), dropped out of the top 25 following losses to Louisville and UC Davis and a draw at Santa Clara.
Hoffman, who has eight goals in his last 10 games for the Bruins, finished a sequence from Shawn Singh and Eder Arreola (Chino Hills/Chino Hills HS) three minutes into the second half. Rowe's goal, a magnificent blast from just wide of the box to inside the far post, made it 2-0 in the 73rd minute.
UCLA takes on Loyola Marymount on Sunday at 5 p.m. on the Bruins' North Athletic Field.
In other men's action:
- Everett Pitts (Chino Hills/Ayala HS) volleyed home a rebound 16 minutes into overtime to lift No. 9 UC Irvine (5-0-0) to a 3-2 triumph at Wisconsin. The Badgers (2-2-0) rallied after Enrique Cardenas (Coachella/Coachella Valley HS) provided the Anteaters a 2-0 lead with a pair of yeoman's goals in the first six minutes of the second half.
- Kevin Venegas (Lakewood/Los Alamitos HS) sent Cal State Fullerton (3-0-1) to a 2-1 win over UW Green Bay at UNLV's tournament, converting a 73rd-minute penalty kick for the winner.
- Chris Smith (Palmdale/Quartz Hill HS) fed goals by Taylor Bowlin and Yarden Azulay as Cal State Northridge (2-2-0) romped, 3-0, over Missouri State at New Mexico's tournament.
- Logan McDaniel (Palmdale/Quartz Hill HS) and Phil Da Silva each posted two assists, and Loyola Marymount pulled away late to a 4-1 rout of visiting UC Riverside.
- David Opoku scored his fourth and Luis Silva (Los Angeles/Salesian HS) his second to lead No. 6 UC Santa Barbara past No. 12 West Virginia, 2-0.
- Cal State Dominguez Hills, ranked No. 24 in NCAA Division II, opened its California Collegiate Athletic Association slate with a 2-0 win over Cal State San Bernardino. Henry Calistro (Rowland Heights/Rowland HS) and Wyatt Stucker (Rolling Hills Estates/Peninsula HS) scoring from free kicks. It was a physical encounter: 45 fouls (23-22 to CSUSB) and seven yellow cards (4-3 to CSUDH).
- Luis Gonzalez (Long Beach/Millikan HS and Cerritos College) scored his third and fourth goals of the season to lead Cal Poly Pomona past Cal State East Bay, 4-2, in a CCAA opener in Hayward.
- Rosario Bras' 40th-minute header carried Cal State L.A. past UC San Diego, 1-0, in another CCAA match.
- Chapman's Mauricio Alfonso (Woodland Hills/Loyola HS) netted four goals in two games -- two each in a 5-0 rout Wednesday of Occidental (0-1-0) and Friday's 2-0 victory over Pomona-Pitzer (0-2-0). The Panthers, from Orange, are 4-0-0.
- Harrison Doyle (Hidden Hills/Calabasas HS) scored his second goal in as many games to complete Claremont-Mudd-Scripps' 3-0 romp at Pacific (Ore.). He scored the Stags' lone goal in its opener Wednesday, a 2-1 loss to Cal Baptist.
- Biola (3-1-0), No. 14 in the NAIA, outshot Oakland's Holy Names, 23-5, in the opener of The Master's tournament in Santa Clarita, but the Eagles lost, 1-0, on Martin Meastratti's overtime strike. The Master's won, 2-1, in the second game as Jonathan Taves and Zachary Egeler scored second-half goals 50 seconds apart.
Anisa Guajardo's fifth goal of the season restored a two-goal edge early in the second half, and 13th-ranked Pepperdine (6-0-1) finished off No. 20 Illinois, 4-2, at the LSU Invitational.
Myriah Stockman, Michelle Manning (Calabasas/Agoura HS) and Laura Cole (Whittier/La Habra HS) also tallied for the Waves.
Guajardo's goal came 93 seconds after Megan Pawloski trimmed Pepperdine's lead to 2-1. Cole's goal made it 4-1.
In other women's action:
- Sydney Leroux scored her fourth goal of the year in the 10th minute and sixth-ranked UCLA (5-0-1) limited visiting SMU to one shot in a 1-0 victory.
- Natalia Ledezma (La Mirada/La Mirada HS and UCLA) netted her fifth goal seven minutes into the second half as No. 11 UC Irvine (5-0-1) rallied for a 1-1 draw with No. 17 Santa Clara at Stanford's tournament. The Anteaters on Sunday take on the second-ranked Cardinal.
- USC's three-game win streak ended with a 1-0 loss to No. 4 Oklahoma State (8-0-0) in the Trojan Invitational. Elizabeth DeLozier scored early in the second half. San Diego beat Texas, 2-1, on two Stephanie Ochs goals in the tournament opener.
- Heidi Farran (San Pedro/San Pedro HS) and Chloe McDaniel (Palmdale/Quartz Hill HS) provided a two-goal lead in the first 31 minutes, but Cal State Northridge (1-4-1) couldn't hold on in a 2-2 draw at Purdue. The Matadors won a penalty-kick shootout to advance to Sunday's Boilermaker Classic title game against Dayton.
- Freshman Brianne Medved scored in the 12th minute and Loyola Marymount (5-1-1) -- outshot, 19-3, and held without a shot in the second half -- held on for a 1-0 victory at Cal State Fullerton (1-4-1).
- Lauren Battung (Simi Valley/Chaminade HS) converted an early penalty kick, and Cal won its sixth in a row, 2-0 over Long Beach State (4-3).
- Sarah McTigue (Bellflower/Valley Christian HS) scored in the third minute, enough for UC San Diego, the No. 6 team in NCAA Division II, to topple No. 11 Cal State L.A. (2-1-0) in a California Collegiate Athletic Association opener.
- Justine Barclay scored in the 67th and 79th minutes to lead Cal Poly Pomona (3-0-0) to a 3-1 CCAA win at Cal State East Bay.
- Freshman Natalie Barbosa (Hawthorne/El Segundo HS) scored late to secure victory for Cal State Dominguez Hills (3-0-0) in its CCAA opener, a 2-0 decision over No. 19 Cal State San Bernardino.
- Cal Lutheran (3-0-0), ranked 12th in NCAA Division III, scored seven times in the final 21 minutes for a 10-0 rout of Texas Lutheran. Taylor Will and Rosemarie Lombardi scored twice for the Regals, who rolled up a 37-0 shot advantage -- with 25 second-half shots.
- Kaily Benenati scored three minutes into overtime to lift Redlands (2-0-1) to a 2-1 win over visiting Willamette (Ore.).
Bethesda Christian 6 (Ruiz 8, 15, 83, Bello 18, Dean 45, 90), Arizona Christian 1 (Sekelsky 84)
Biola 0, Holy Names 1 (Meastratti 93)
Cal State Dominguez Hills 2 (Calistro 27, Stucker 60), Cal State San Bernardino 0
Cal State East Bay 2 (Martin 45, 51), Cal Poly Pomona 4 (Gonzalez 17, 60, Perez 25, Beta 88)
Cal State Fullerton 2 (Aguero 30, Venegas pen. 73), UW Green Bay 1 (Walls pen. 69)
Cal State L.A. 1 (Bras 40), UC San Diego 0
Cal State Northridge 3 (Bowlin 23, Rivas 63, Azulay 90), Missouri State 0
Chapman 2 (Alfonso 62, 80), Pomona-Pitzer 0
Loyola Marymount 4 (Hunsicker 26, Reiter 42, Ponce 71, Felix 85), UC Riverside (Diaz Pizzaro 84)
The Master's 2 (Taves 71, Egeler 72), Westminster (Utah) 1 (Sellis 20)
Pacific (Ore.) 0, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 3 (og Ganiko 5, Bernstein 13, Doyle 24)
Soka 0, Marymount 3 (Smith 26, Ahlgren 34, Ngang 87)
UC Santa Barbara 2 (Opoku 22, Silva 65), West Virginia 0
UC Santa Cruz 4 (Hummel 20, Seltzer 35, Murphy 57, Kobayashi 71), Cal Lutheran 1 (Santana 86)
UCLA 2 (Hoffman 49, Rowe 73), St. Mary's 1 (Conner 85)
Wisconsin 2 (Janus pen. 52, Prince 78), UC Irvine 3 (Cardenas 46, 51, Pitts 106)
Vanguard 0, McKendree (Ill.) 1 (own goal 66)
Soka 4 (Hagihara 13, Price 29, Takahata 38, Ocampo 46), Arizona Christian 1 (Jones 48)
Chapman 5 (Alfonso 5, 29, Hellesen 20, Echeverry 43, Heim 61), Occidental 0
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 1 (Doyle 9), Cal Baptist 2 (Rupert pen. 75, Fauston 83)
Cal State Dominguez Hills 2 (own goal 22, Barbosa 83), Cal State San Bernardino 0
Cal State East Bay 1 (Luna 55), Cal Poly Pomona 3 (Sauve 36, Barclay 67, 79)
Cal State Fullerton 0, Loyola Marymount 1 (Medved 12)
Cal State L.A. 0, UC San Diego 1 (McTigue 3)
Embry-Riddle (Fla.) 2 (Obita 78, Olsen 95), Concordia 1, OT
Long Beach State 0, California 2 (Battung pen. 4, Benz 52)
Pepperdine 4 (Stockman 41, Manning 49, Guajardo 58, Cole 75), Illinois 2 (Pawloski 56, Flaws 84)
Purdue 2 (Asher 53, Frick 70), Cal State Northridge 2 (Farran 3, McDaniel 31), OT
Redlands 2 (Pegan 58, Benenati 93), Willamette 1 (Skelly 17), OT
San Diego 2 (Ochs 18, 29), Texas 1 (Doniak 73)
Santa Clara 1 (Parchinski 39), UC Irvine 1 (Ledezma 52), OT
Texas Lutheran 0, Cal Lutheran 10 (Vaughn 1, own goals 8, 71, Will 17, 81, Hulse 70, Rains 80, Cameron 84, Lombardi 87, 87)
UC Riverside 1 (Musa 78), Utah 2 (Robison 58, Wall 76)
UCLA 1 (Leroux 10), SMU 0
USC 0, Oklahoma State 1 (DeLozier 56)
Northwest Nazarene (Idaho) 1 (Field 65), Cal Baptist 3 (Allard 42, 52, da Silva 48)
Vanguard 6 (Valles 37, 63, Holman-Kelley 58, 77, Couch 66, Warner 87), McKendree (Ill.) 0
Azusa Pacific 1 (Lavin 80), Holy Names 0
Biola 3 (Austin 67, 86, Cubias 69), Whittier 1 (Shipherd 35)
La Verne 1 (Rodriguez 37), George Fox (Ore.) 1 (Gaither 73), OT
Occidental 1 (Garcia 77), The Master's 4 (Adkins 21, Roberts 27, Coyle 39, Hartenberger 85)
Pomona-Pitzer 1 (Edmonds 75), Hope International 0
Cal State Dominguez Hills 2 (Canatsey 18, own goal 21), Grand Canyon 1 (Woodrad pen. 39)
Home teams listed first