COLLEGE: UCLA starts Pac-12 with OT win
Englishman Andy Rose scored in the first minute of overtime, and UCLA escaped its Pacific 12 Conference men's soccer opener with a 1-0 victory Friday night over visiting California.
Rose, a senior midfielder, scored from Shawn Singh's feed 59 seconds into the extra period, the third pass from a corner kick that Kelyn Rowe played short to Spaniard Victor Munoz.
The 25th-ranked Bruins (6-3-1) were the aggressor and held a 17-6 shot advantage on Cal (3-3-2) in a matchup of the Pac-12's perennial powers. UCLA plays Stanford on Sunday.
In other men's action:
- Taylor Rivas (Lancaster/Lancaster HS and UC Santa Barbara) nodded home an 89th-minute throw-in from Osvaldo Lopez (Palmdale/Palmdale HS) to give Cal State L.A. (5-1-3), ranked 15th in D2, a 1-1 California Collegiate Athletic Conference draw at Cal Poly Pomona (6-2-1).
- Freshman Connor Brandt (Temecula/Great Oak HS) tallied from a takeaway in the 20th minute to lead Cal State Dominguez Hills (6-2-1) a 1-0 CCAA victory at San Francisco State.
- D.J. Vigil (Lancaster/Paraclete HS and UC Irvine) tallied twice as Cal State San Bernardino romped to a 3-1 CCAA win over Cal State East Bay.
WOMEN: OT PK lifts Long Beach
Shawna Gordon (Rancho Cucamonga/Los Osos HS) converted a penalty kick just 59 seconds into overtime to give Long Beach State a 2-1 victory over UC Santa Barbara in a Big West Conference opener.
All four Big West openers went to overtime.
Nicole Hubbard (Lakewood/Mayfair HS) also tallied for the 49ers (8-3-1), and she and Gordon are tied for ninth on the all-time program goals list with 15 apiece.
In other women's action:
- No. 3 UCLA (9-0-1) scored its second straight 1-0 victory in Pac-12 play, edging Oregon on freshman Kylie McCarthy's 80th-minute goal.
- USC (3-8-0) dropped its fifth straight one-goal decision, losing, 1-0, to No. 23 Oregon State on Jenna Richardson's overtime strike in a Pac-12 clash.
- Lexi Kopf and Jenna Pellegrino provided first-half leads, but No. 19 UC Irvine (7-2-2) couldn't hold on in its Big West opener at UC Davis.
- Heidi Farran (San Pedro/San Pedro HS) scored in the 83rd minute to give Cal State Northridge (2-6-2) a 1-1 draw at Pacific in a Big West opener.
- Cal Poly overcame a second-half deficit to beat Cal State Fullerton, 2-1, in a Big West opener. Janali West scored for the Titans (5-5-2).
- Cal Poly Pomona's Angela Garcia and Cal State L.A.'s Cari Gill traded goals in a 1-1 CCAA draw. Both teams are 5-2-2.
- Freshman Sami Feinstein (Costa Mesa/Costa Mesa HS) scored off the right post after a 60-yard run as Cal State Dominguez Hills (5-4-0) ended a four-game losing streak with a 1-0 CCAA win at San Francisco State.
- Carissa Kutkowski (Ontario/Chaffey HS) tallied twice as Cal State San Bernardino (3-5-1) scored four in the first 28 minutes en route to a 6-2 CCAA rout of visiting Cal State East Bay.
- Aimee Evans' fifth goal of the season sent Chapman (4-5-1) to a 1-0 victory over UC Santa Cruz.
Cal Poly 2 (Orand 79, Gummow 107), Cal State Fullerton 1 (West 74), OT
Cal Poly Pomona 1 (Jimenez 64), Cal State L.A. 1 (Rivas 89), OT
Cal State San Bernardino 3 (Vigil 19, 52, Martinez 29), Cal State East Bay 1 (Borst 81)
Marymount 0, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) 1
San Francisco State 0, Cal State Dominguez Hills 1 (Brandt 20)
UCLA 1 (Rose 91), California 0, OT
La Sierra 2 (Shelton 23, 79), San Diego Christian 1 (Vienna pen. 90)
Cal Poly Pomona 1 (Garcia 18), Cal State L.A. 1 (Gill 68), OT
Cal State San Bernardino 6 (Kutkowski 15, 23, Gomez 25, Wilding 38, Carmona 58, Enriquez 66), Cal State East Bay 2 (Gordon 65, 71)
Chapman 1 (Evans 24), UC Santa Cruz 0
Marymount 1, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) 1
Pacific 1 (Topp 27), Cal State Northridge 1 (Farran 83), OT
San Francisco State 0, Cal State Dominguez Hills 1 (Feinstein 71)
UC Davis 2 (Kelly 28, Wilson 47), UC Irvine 2 (Kopf 24, Pellegrino 42), OT
UC Santa Barbara 1 (McGrath 57), Long Beach State 2 (Hubbard 22, Gordon pen. 91), OT
UCLA 1 (McCarthy 80), Oregon 0
USC 0, Oregon State 1 (Richardson), OT
Home teams listed first