COLLEGE: No. 7 UCI tops No. 10 UCSB
UC Irvine netted two second-half goals to win its men's soccer showdown Saturday night at UC Santa Barbara, sending the Gauchos -- a perennial national power -- to their second loss in the young Big West Conference season.Miguel Ibarra (Lancaster/Lancaster HS) broke a scoreless draw in the 67th minute and Lester Hayes III added a second in the 80th for the seventh-ranked Anteaters (9-2-0), who bounced back from a 1-0 loss to Cal Poly in the conference opener Wednesday.
UC Santa Barbara (6-3-1), which was upset by UC Riverside in its Big West opener, nearly scored twice in front of 5,417 fans at Harder Stadium, but Irvine goalkeeper Andrew Fontein tipped a Sam Garza blast over his crossbar in the first half, and David Opoku shot just wide in a 1-on-1 opportunity in the second half.
The loss ended UCSB's 16-game home unbeaten streak.
In other men's action:
- Carlos Benavides (Woodland Hills/El Camino Real HS) assisted goals by Yarden Azulay, Christian Gonzalez Diaz (Mission Viejo/Mission Viejo HS) and Edwin Rivas (Los Angeles/Santee Educational Complex), and Cal State Northridge (5-4-1) vaulted atop the Big West standings with its second 3-0 triumph, an upset of visiting Cal State Fullerton (6-2-2). The Matadors had a 28-14 edge in shots, and Fullerton lost star midfielder Kevin Venegas (Lakewood/Los Alamitos HS) to an 82nd-minute red card.
- Matt Weisenfarth's goal just 52 seconds into the game was enough for UC Davis in a Big West Conference victory over visiting UC Riverside (6-3-1).
- Danny Day, Gabe Ramirez (Pasadena/Crescenta Valley HS) and Charles Izydorek (Redlands/Arrowhead Christian HS) scored goals and Redlands (8-3-0) improved to 5-0-0 in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference with a 3-0 victory over defending champ Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (6-3-1). The Stags outshot Redlands, 27-14, and had a 10-3 advantage on corner kicks.
- Arash Mahboubi (La Caņada Flintridge/La Caņada HS) scored in the 84th minute to lift Pomona-Pitzer (6-4-0) to a 1-0 SCIAC win at Cal Lutheran (1-8-0).
- Adolfo Santos (Downey/Peninsula HS) and Srdan Jovanovic tallied as Whittier (4-5-0) pulled out a 2-1 SCIAC win over Occidental (2-7-0).
- Hector Lepe (Wildomar/Elsinore HS) scored in the 87th to prod La Verne (1-5-1) to a 2-1 SCIAC victory over Caltech (1-7-0).
- Carlos Garcia-Partida's goal 22 seconds before halftime lifted Azusa Pacific (7-1-0), ranked sixth in NAIA, to a 1-0 win over Point Loma Nazarene in a Golden State Athletic Conference opener.
- Christian Ramirez (Garden Grove/La Quinta HS and UC Santa Barbara) set up goals by Mike Sweeney (La Mirada/La Mirada HS and Irvine Valley College) and William Prado (Anaheim/Loara HS and Long Beach City College) in the first 10 minutes, and No. 14 Concordia (7-1-0) opened GSAC play with a 2-0 win over No. 18 Biola (5-2-2).
- Defending GSAC champ Vanguard (7-3-0) handed No. 17 The Master's (7-1-1) its first defeat, pulling out a 2-1 win in a conference opener on Kevin Cornwall's 77th-minute goal.
- Cheunyong Park scored and set up second-half goals to lead unaffiliated Bethesda Christian (10-1-0), from Anaheim, to a 2-1 win at Cal State San Marcos.
- Cal Baptist (6-3-0) suffered its first Pacific West Conference loss, falling 2-1 to unbeaten Dixie State.
Point Loma Nazarene had two big triumphs over Azusa Pacific in the first dozen years of their rivalry in women's soccer, but the Sea Lions had never beaten the NAIA powerhouse.
That streak ended Saturday, when sophomore Krista Gregory (Lake Forest/El Toro HS) carried the school from San Diego to a 1-0 victory over the Cougars, the top-ranked NAIA team.
Gregory scored in the 79th minute for No. 10 Point Loma Nazarene (9-0-1) in the Golden State Athletic Conference opener. APU fell to 4-1-1.
The Sea Lions improved to 1-10-3 against Azusa Pacific, but twice it has prevailed on penalties -- to win the 2009 GSAC tournament title and shortly afterward in an NAIA semifinal game.
In other women's action:
- No. 15 The Master's College (7-3-0) handed Vanguard its first loss, pulling away to a 4-2 GSAC victory on late goals by Bobbie Roberts (Fontana/Kaiser HS) and Natasha Coyle (La Habra/Sonora HS). The Lions are 8-1-0.
- Fifth-ranked Concordia (9-1-0) opened GSAC play with a 2-0 win over Biola (3-4-1) as Jacqueline Turner (Orange/Orange Lutheran HS and Santiago Canyon College) scored and set up Arianna Vaughn (West Covina/South Hills HS) for another goal.
- Kylee Nicassio (Alta Loma/Los Osos HS) scored twice in the first five minutes -- her seventh and eighth goals of the season and 41st and 42nd of her college career -- as Cal Baptist (8-1-1) romped to a 4-1 Pacific West Conference victory at Dixie State.
- Freshman Taylor Will netted her 13th goal and Lindsay Armenta (Camarillo/Rio Mesa HS) scored twice as Cal Lutheran (9-1-0), ranked 17th in NCAAN Division III, improved to 5-0-0 in the SCIAC with a 3-1 victory at Pomona-Pitzer (6-3-0). Every other SCIAC team has at least two conference losses.
- Fionna Connolly and Kaily Benenati scored second-half goals to lead Redlands (5-3-1) to a 2-1 SCIAC victory at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (4-3-2).
- Elissa Minamishin scored twice and assisted two goals by Alex Nicholson, and Occidental (3-5-0) romped to a 5-0 SCIAC win over Whittier (0-9-0).
Azusa Pacific 1 (Garcia-Partida 45), Point Loma Nazarene 0
Cal Lutheran 0, Pomona-Pitzer 1 (Mahboubi 84)
Cal State Northridge 3 (Azulay 35, Gonzalez 40, Rivas 81), Cal State Fullerton 0
Cal State San Marcos 1 (Kaiser 41), Bethesda Christian 2 (Park pen. 46, Avila 77)
Concordia 2 (Sweeney 8, Prado 10), Biola 0
Dixie State (Utah) 2 (Lawhun 2, Roylance 68), Cal Baptist 1 (Hope 70)
Hope International 2 (Howard pen. 61, Hoffer 61), Westmont 3 (Gordon 15, Thompkins 45, Cardigan 81)
La Verne 2 (Estrada 49, Lepe 87), Caltech (Arene 78)
Redlands 3 (Day 18, Ramirez 59, Izydorek 64), Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 0
UC Davis 1 (Weisenfarth) 1, UC Riverside 0
UC Santa Barbara 0, UC Irvine 2 (Ibarra 67, Hayes 80)
Vanguard 2 (Ilich 25, Cornwall 77), The Master's 1 (Gardner 44)
Whittier 2 (Santos 58, Jovanovic 76), Occidental 1 (Moseley 83)
Azusa Pacific 0, Point Loma Nazarene 1 (Gregory 79)
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 1 (Shove 26), Redlands (Connolly 51, Benenati 74)
Concordia 2 (Turner 47, Vaughn 65). Biola 0
Dixie State (Utah) 1 (Beckstrom 14), Cal Baptist 4 (Nicassio 4, 5, Lammers 62, Vesling 63)
Hope International 0, Westmont 3 (Martinez 8, 65, Rueff 43)
Occidental 5 (Nicholson 21, 62, Minamishin 29, 86, Murayama 59), Whittier 0
Pomona-Pitzer 1 (Lopez 21), Cal Lutheran 3 (Will 10, Armenta 31, 42)
Vanguard 2 (Holman-Kelley 10, Couch 67), The Master's 4 (Hollinger 18, Richards 40, Roberts 74, Coyle 87)