Another shutout for No. 3 UCLA
All-American Sydney Leroux's first-half goal stood up Sunday for third-ranked UCLA, which posted its third successive Pacific 12 Conference women's soccer shutout in a 1-0 triumph over No. 23 Oregon State.
Leroux, who is in the U.S. national team pool, took a pass from freshman Caprice Dydasco, made a run to the end line and slipped the ball past Beavers goalkeeper Coleen Boyd in the 17th minute. It was her team-best seventh goal of the season.
UCLA (10-0-1), which conceded just three shots to Oregon State (8-3-1) and claimed its seventh shutout in 11 matches, has a showdown next Sunday at No. 1 Stanford (11-0-1).
In other womenīs action:
- USC (3-9-0) has lost six straight one-goal decisions after a 2-1 defeat to visiting Oregon. Kristina Noriega (Westminster/Ocean View HS) tallied for the Women of Troy, who dominated play but surrendered a 63rd-minute winner to Bri Pugh.
- Shawna Gordon (Rancho Cucamonga/Los Osos HS) and Marysol Rosas (Santa Ana/Mater Dei HS) scored two goals and Nadia Link (Rowland Heights/Walnut HS) netted her 11th of the season as Long Beach State (9-3-1) routed Cal Poly, 6-0, in a Big West Conference clash in San Luis Obispo.
- Kishi Smith (Chatsworth/Chatsworth HS) set up Stacey Fox (Simi Valley/Royal HS) for the 87th-minute equalizer, then converted a penalty kick nearly four minutes into overtime to lift Cal State Fullerton (6-5-2) to a 2-1 Big West triumph at UC Santa Barbara.
- Melissa Fernandez (Granada Hills/Granada Hills HS), Heidi Farran (San Pedro/San Pedro HS) and Jessa Yukihiro (Los Alamitos/Los Alamitos HS) netted goals as Cal State Northridge (3-6-2) scored a 3-1 Big West victory at UC Davis.
- Alex Topp's overtime strike lifted Pacific past No. 19 UC Irvine (7-3-2), which went 0-1-1 in its Big West-opening NorCal swing. CoCo Goodson and Lexi Kopf tallied for the Anteaters.
- Jenna Howerton scored her second goal in overtime to lead UNLV to a 2-1 win over visiting Loyola Marymount (6-4-1). Tawni Martino (Irvine/Beckman HS) tallied for the Lions.
- Cindy Paez (Pomona/Pomona HS and Mt. San Antonio HS) scored in the 71st minute to give Cal Poly Pomona (5-2-3) a 2-2 California Collegiate Athletic Association draw against Cal State Dominguez Hills (5-4-1). Jessica Murphy (Torrance/West Torrance HS) scored twice for the Toros, her ninth and 10th goals in four seasons against Pomona.
- Jasmine Bell and Diana Enriquez (San Bernardino/Cajon HS) assisted each other's goals 76 seconds apart to start Cal State San Bernardino (4-5-1) on a 4-0 romp over Cal State Monterey Bay. The Coyotes scored 10 goals in two CCAA games this weekend.
- Melina Barragan (Pomona/Pomona HS and Mt. San Antonio HS) scored on a penalty kick to carry Cal State L.A. (6-2-2) past San Francisco State, 1-0, in a CCAA game.
Ryan Hollingshead and Andy Rose scored second-half goals as UCLA completed a sweep of the Pacific 12 Conference's Bay Area schools with a 2-0 win over visiting Stanford.
Hollingshead finished a through ball from Eder Arreola (Chino Hills/Chino Hills HS) in the 52nd minute, then won a penalty kick seven minutes later that Rose converted.
The 25th-ranked Bruins (7-3-1) opened Pac-12 play with a win Friday over California.
In other menīs action:
- Loyola Marymount's losing streak hit six games with a 1-0 defeat to visiting St. Mary's. Riley Hanley scored in the 25th minute for the Gaels, knocking in a rebound after his penalty kick was saved by Lions goalkeeper Vince Paldino (Torrance/North Torrance HS). LMU is 2-8-0.
- Jason Swope scored twice to lead Cal State L.A. (6-1-3), ranked 15th in Division II, to a 3-0 California Collegiate Athletic Association victory at San Francisco State.
- Freshman Connor Brandt (Temecula/Great Oak HS) stole the ball at the top of the box and chipped Cal Poly Pomona goalkeeper Andrew Todd 17 minutes into overtime, lifting Cal State Dominguez Hills (7-2-1) to a 2-1 CCAA triumph. Brandt scored the winning goals in both Toros victory this weekend. Pomona fell to 6-3-1.
- Charles Izydorek (Redlands/Arrowhead Christian HS) netted two goals as Redlands (9-3-0) pulled away in the final half-hour to a 4-0 Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference victory at Cal Lutheran (1-9-0).
Cal Lutheran 0, Redlands 4 (Roraff 10, Griffin 64, Izydorek 72, 80)
Cal Poly Pomona 1 (Gonzalez 62), Cal State Dominguez Hills 2 (Calistro 29, Brandt 108)
Cal State San Bernardino 0, Cal State Monterey Bay 1 (Perez 100), OT
La Sierra 0, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) 3
Loyola Marymount 0, St. Mary's 1 (Hanley 25)
San Francisco State 0, Cal State L.A. 3 (Swope 25, 86, Payne 46)
UCLA 2 (Hollingshead 53, Rose pen. 60), Stanford 0
Cal Poly 0, Long Beach State 6 (Sweetman 12, Gordon 32, 77, Link 66, Rosas 87, 90)
Cal Poly Pomona 2 (Strawn 3, Paez 71), Cal State Dominguez Hills 2 (Murphy 22, 47), OT
Cal State San Bernardino 4 (Bell 38, Enriquez 40, Hirsch 79, Van Meter 80), Cal State Monterey Bay 0
La Verne 0, UC Santa Cruz 0, OT
Pacific 3 (Ramos 24, Hogan 75, Topp 96), UC Irvine 2 (Goodson pen. 39, Kopf 68), OT
San Francisco State 0, Cal State L.A. 1 (Barragan pen. 69)
UC Davis 1 (Hicks 80), Cal State Northridge 3 (Fernandez 13, Farran 18, Yukihiro 64)
UC Santa Barbara 1 (Mead 82), Cal State Fullerton (Fox 87, Smith pen. 94), OT
UCLA 1 (Leroux 17), Oregon State 0
UNLV 2 (Howerton 52, 99), Loyola Marymount 1 (Martino 52), OT
USC 1 (Noriega 57), Oregon 2 (Libke pen. 33, Pugh 63)