COLLEGE: No. 4 Creighton stops UCI
All-American Ethan Finlay scored a hat trick, and fourth-ranked Creighton overwhelmed No. 7 UC Irvine in a non-conference men's soccer showdown Saturday night in Omaha, Neb.
Finlay provided a fifth-minute lead, then added goals in the 62nd and 88th minutes, each time extending the Bluejays' lead to two goals. Jimmy Turner (Mission Viejo/Mission Viejo HS) headed home a Christopher Santana cross in the 63rd for the Anteaters (12-3-0).
“That's a very, very good opponent. They will do well this year,” Creighton coach Elmar Bolowich, whose team notched its second win over a top-10 foe in its past three games, told his school's athletics website. “That's a great win for us. I thought the first half was probably the best half I have seen us play this season."
Creighton (11-2-0) hadn't conceded a goal in its first five home games.
UCIrvine leads the Big West Conference with a 4-1 mark, one game ahead of Cal State Northridge, Cal Poly and UC Davis.
In other men's action:
- Matt Sheldon tallied three minutes into overtime, his second goal of the game, to give UC Davis a 2-1 Big West victory at Cal State Northridge (6-6-1). Edwin Rivas (Los Angeles/Santee Educational Complex) scored in the 79th minute for the Matadors.
- Ben Sperber (Palm Desert/Desert Christian HS) slotted home a loose ball in the 83rd minute as UC Riverside (6-5-2) rallied for a 1-1 Big West draw at Cal State Fullerton (6-5-2). Kevin Venegas (Lakewood/Los Alamitos HS) tallied for the Titans.
- Jeremy Bishop (Glendora/Glendora HS) finished off a weaving run for an 89th-minute equalizer, and Azusa Pacific (9-2-1), No. 12 in the NAIA rankings, pulled out a 2-1 Golden State Athletic Conference victory over No. 21 Biola (7-4-2) when Jordan Markovich (Santa Clarita/Canyon HS) netted an overtime header.
- Zach Hoffer (Temecula/Great Oak HS) tallied in the 17th minute, and Hope International (4-6-1) held on for a stunning 1-0 decision over No. 9 Concordia (10-2-0).
- David Allegria (Saugus/Saugus HS) and Jorge Serrano (Sylmar/Sylmar HS and College of the Canyons) each contributed a goal and an assist as The Master's (9-1-3) routed visiting Point Loma Nazarene, 4-0, in the GSAC.
- Irishman Kevin Cornwall's eighth goal of the year lifted No. 23 Vanguard (10-4-0) to a 1-0 GSAC win at Fresno Pacific.
- Tyler Aagard scored 10 minutes into the second half to lead Cal Baptist (8-4-0) past winless Chaminade, 2-1, in a Pacific West Conference clash in Honolulu.
- Jake Bishop and Sam Ullman scored two goals each, and Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9-3-1) scored three goals in 4½ minutes early in the second half en route to a 5-1 rout of cross-campus rival Pomona-Pitzer(7-7-0) in the battle for second place in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
- Cody Carlson (Burbank/Burbank HS) netted a second-half hat trick as SCIAC leader Redlands (13-3-0), No. 25 in the NCAA Division III poll, scored five times after halftime for a 6-0 win over Whittier (5-8-0).
- Ryan Estrada (La Palma/Kennedy HS) scored twice and Erek Brown (San Dimas/San Dimas HS) netted the winner as La Verne (5-6-1) pulled out a 3-2 SCIAC victory over Occidental (4-10-0).
- Enrique Zaragoza (Ontario/Ontario HS) scored and assisted goals as Cal Lutheran (2-12-0) romped to a 4-0 SCIAC win at Caltech (1-12-0).
- Brett Richardson tallied with 1:22 to go in regulation, lifting Chapman (8-3-2) to a 1-1 draw at Wis.-Superior.
WOMEN: Biola beats No. 3 APU in OT
Jessica Austin's overtime header carried Biola past third-ranked Azusa Pacific, 2-1, in a Golden State Athletic Conference clash Saturday in La Mirada.
Austin (Altadena/Maranatha HS) headed home a Taylor Lundquist corner kick in the 103rd minute to give the Eagles (7-5-0) their first win in seven seasons over APU (7-2-1), which was No. 1 in the NAIA rankings until dropping its GSAC opener Oct. 1 to conference leader Point Loma Nazarene.
The San Diego school leads the conference at 5-0, followed by Biola and Westmont (4-1) and Concordia (3-1-1). APU(3-2) is fifth, six points off the lead.
Brittany Barr (Temecula/Temecula Valley HS) scored from a Lundquist long ball to give Biola a 16th-minute lead, but the Cougars pulled even when Natalie Sun finished a loose ball in the 85th minute.
In other women's action:
- Bri Lopez (Lake Forest/El Toro HS) broke a scoreless draw in the 72nd minute, then fed former Santiago Canyon College teammate Jacqueline Turner (Orange/Orange Lutheran HS) for a second eight minutes later, and No. 16 Concordia (11-2-1) toppled Hope International (4-8-0) in a GSAC match.
- Kallie Caldwell scored in the 86th to lift No. 5 Point Loma Nazarene, the GSAC leader, to a 1-0 triumph at No. 21 The Master's (8-6-0).
- Gabriela Valles netted her eighth goal of the season and Amanda Couch her sixth to lead Vanguard (9-2-1) to a 2-0 GSAC victory at Fresno Pacific.
- Kylee Nicassio (Alta Loma/Los Osos HS) scored twice as Cal Baptist (9-1-1) routed Chaminade, 4-0, in a PWC game in Honolulu.
- Traci Lopez scored in the first half for Pomona-Pitzer (8-4-1) and Madi Shove tallied in the second half for Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (5-5-3), and the 1-1 draw left both with a share of second place in the SCIAC.
- Fiona Connolly scored in the 76th to lift Redlands (8-3-1) to a 1-0 SCIAC victory at Whittier (1-12-0).
- Alex McHenry tallied nine minutes into the second half to lead Occidental (4-7-0) to a 1-0 SCIAC win over La Verne (2-9-3).
- Cal Lutheran (14-1-0), ranked 15thin NCAA Division III, set a program record for goals in a 16-0 rout at Mills, with Mayra Virgen (Port Hueneme/Hueneme HS) scoring four and Kristina Hulse (Palmdale/Desert Christian HS) adding a hat trick.
Biola 1 (Wingrove 41), Azusa Pacific 2 (Bishop 89, Markovich 99), OT
Cal State Fullerton 1 (Venegas 52), UC Riverside 1 (Sperber) 83, OT
Cal State Northridge 1 (Rivas 79), UC Davis 2 (Sheldon 72, 94), OT
Caltech 0, Cal Lutheran 4 (Zaragoza 38, Sanchez 75, Hibbert pen. 78, Santana 84)
Chaminade 1 (Gerwalt 38), Cal Baptist 2 (Bastida 4, Aagard 55)
Creighton 3 (Finlay 5, 62, 88), UC Irvine 1 (Turner 62)
Fresno Pacific 0, Vanguard 1 (Cornwall 74)
Hope International 1 (Hoffer 17), Concordia 0
La Verne 3 (Estrada 31, 50, Brown 79), Occidental 2 (Murray 18, 62)
The Master's 4 (Alegria 27, Serrano 50, Peluffo 63, Miller 89), Point Loma Nazarene 0
Pomona-Pitzer 1 (Hull 2), Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 5 (Bishop 10, 56, Taylor 59, Ullman 60, 61)
Redlands 6 (Izydorek 45, Carlson 47, 51, 73, Roraff 52, Fitz 84), Whittier 0
Wis.-Superior 1 (George 64), Chapman 1 (Richardson 89), OT
Biola 2 (Barr 16, Austin 103), Azusa Pacific 1 (Sun 85), OT
Chaminade 0, Cal Baptist 4 (Nicassio 23, 72, da Silva 41, Vesling 66)
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 1 (Shove 55), Pomona-Pitzer 1 (Lopez 37), OT
Fresno Pacific 0, Vanguard 2 (Valles 12, Couch 83)
Hope International 0, Concordia 2 (B. Lopez 72, Turner 80)
The Master's 0, Point Loma Nazarene 1 (Caldwell 86)
Mills 0, Cal Lutheran 16 (Virgen NA, NA, NA, NA, Hulse NA, NA, NA, Armstrong NA, Will NA, Lombardi NA, Vaughan NA, Armenta NA, Garcia NA, Dingman NA, Becker NA, Granholm NA)
Occidental 1 (McHenry 54), La Verne 0
Whittier 0, Redlands 1 (Connolly 76)
Home teams listed first