COLLEGE: 0-0 sends UCI to the top
A scoreless draw was enough to give UC Irvine command of the Big West Conference race.
The ninth-ranked Anteaters (13-4-1) held off a late Cal State Northridge push in the Valley to notch their seventh shutout of the season and improve to 5-2-1 in the Big West, giving them a one-point lead over UC Davis (5-3), which lost at UC Santa Barbara. The Matadors are 7-7-2.
UC Irvine has two games remaining -- Saturday at home against UC Riverside and Tuesday at Cal Poly -- and likely will need victories in both to claim the conference crown.
In other menīs action:
- Tim Pontius (Yorba Linda/Servite HS) scored twice to lead UC Santa Barbara (10-5-1) to a 3-1 win over UC Davis, knocking the Aggies to second place in the Big West.
- Cesar Diaz Pizarro (Chino/Ayala HS) scored in the 65th minute to give UC Riverside (8-5-3) a 1-1 Big West draw with visiting Cal State Fullerton (7-5-4). Oscar Aguero (Anaheim/Katella HS) tallied in the first half for the Titans.
- Gabe Ramirez (Pasadena/Crescenta Valley HS) set up goals by Evan Keny-Guyer and Richie Marquez (Pomona/Bloomington HS) as Redlands (16-3-0), the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference champion, romped to a 3-1 victory at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (8-4-1).
- Englishman Sam Russell scored a hat trick and Adolfo Santos (Downey/Peninsula HS) assisted three goals as Whittier (8-8-0) romped to a 4-0 SCIAC victory at Occidental (4-13-0).
- Danny Nasry scored and assisted first-half goals to lead Pomona-Pitzer (10-7-0) to a 3-1 SCIAC win over Cal Lutheran (3-16-0).
- Matthew Howard (Temecula/Great Oak HS) scored his 10th goal of the season in the 83rd minute to lift Hope International (6-7-1) to a 2-1 Golden State Athletic Conference victory over Point Loma Nazarene.
- Trenton Titus (Chino Hills/Ayala HS) scored 10― minutes into the second half to give Azusa Pacific (10-2-2), No. 11 in the NAIA rankings, a 1-1 draw with No. 8 Concordia (12-2-1) in a showdown Tuesday for the GSAC lead. Edgar Orozco (Santa Ana/Santa Ana HS, Corona HS and Golden West College) tallied in the 13th minute for the Eagles, who are atop the standings with a 6-1-1 mark.
- Kyle O'Brien (Garden Grove/Marina HS) scored in the 82nd minute to lift No. 23 Vanguard (12-5-0) to a 3-2 GSAC victory at San Diego Christian.
- Zach Bautista (Orange/Villa Park HS) and Marco Ruvalcaba (La Mirada/La Mirada HS) scored goals to lead Biola (9-5-2) to a 2-0 GSAC win at The Master's (10-3-3).
WOMEN: Cal Baptist falls in showdown
Gabriella Zavala de Rojas scored a 14th-minute equalizer and set up Julia Anglin for the go-ahead goal nine minutes later, and Grand Canyon pulled out a 3-1 victory at Cal Baptist in a showdown for the Pacific West Conference lead.
Kimberly Allard (Riverside/La Sierrra HS) gave the Lancers (9-4-2) a sixth-minute lead, but extraordinary second-half pressure -- with 11 shots to Grand Canyon's five -- failed to overcome the 'Lopes' advantage.
Both teams are 8-1-1 in the Pac West, with a rematch set for Saturday in Phoenix.
In other women's action:
- Sinead Vaughan (Simi Valley/Royal HS) placed a free kick into the upper corner delivered to SCIAC champion Cal Lutheran (18-1-0) a 1-0 overtime win over Pomona-Pitzer (9-5-1).
- Natalie Nick (Cypress/Calvary Chapen HS) assisted goals by Natalie Sun and Long Beach State transfer Markie Gleason (Lake Forest/El Toro HS) to lead Azusa Pacific (10-2-1), sixth in the NAIA rankings, to a 2-0 GSAC win over No. 13 Concordia (12-4-1).
- Katherine Caldwell set up two goals in the first 19 minutes to lead No. 3 Point Loma Nazarene to a 2-0 win at Hope International (4-11-0), clinching the GSAC title outright.
- Jessica Austin (Altadena/Maranatha HS) scored 12 minutes into overtime to lift Biola (9-6-0) to a 2-1 GSAC victory at The Master's (9-8-0).
- Amanda Couch scored two goals and added an assist as No. 25 Vanguard (12-3-1) romped to a 6-0 GSAC win Tuesday at San Diego Christian.
- Meghan Wessel scored twice and Whittier (2-14-0) routed visiting Occidental (5-9-0), claiming a 4-1 SCIAC victory.
- Samantha Rivera (Thousand Oaks/Thousand Oaks HS) netted two goals to lead Redlands (9-5-1) to a 3-1 SCIAC win over Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (7-6-3).
Cal State Northridge 0, UC Irvine 0, OT
Caltech 0, La Verne 3 (Alharshan 16, Estrada 54, Brown 80)
Hope International 2 (Ramos 24, Howard 88), Point Loma Nazarene 1 (Hall 67)
Occidental 0, Whittier 4 (Guthrie 20, Russell 22, 41, 50)
Pomona-Pitzer 3 (Raimondo 8, Mahboubi 38, Nasry 41), Cal Lutheran 1 (Kurzon 18)
Redlands 3 (Keny-Guyer 62, Kutsura 72, Marquez 82), Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 1 (Doyle) 83
UC Riverside 1 (Diaz Pizarro 65), Cal State Fullerton 1 (Aguero 32), OT
UC Santa Barbara 3 (Pontius 38, 61, Silva 77), UC Davis 1 (Reese 64)
Azusa Pacific 1 (Titus 56), Concordia 1 (Orozco 13), OT
The Master's 0, Biola 2 (Bautista 31, Ruvalcaba 87)
an Diego Christian 2 (Flores 3, Picou 78), Vanguard 3 (Ilich 59, Plummer 64, O'Brien 82)
Soka 1, Bethesda Christian 5
Azusa Pacific 2 (Sun 16, Gleason 59), Concordia 0
Cal Baptist 1 (Allard 6), Grand Canyon 3 (Zavala de Rojas 14, Anglin 23, Lincoln 72)
Cal Lutheran 1 (Vaughn 100), Pomona-Pitzer 0, OT
Chapman 3 (Casstleton 13, Do 68, Evans 84), La Verne 0
Hope International 0, Point Loma Nazarene 2 (Pedlowe 16, Wessels 19)
The Master's 1 (Roberts 86), Biola 2 (King 44, Austin 102), OT
Redlands 3 (Rivera 9, 69, Connolly 53), Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 1 (Nichioka 53)
Whittier 4 (Wessel 18, 49, Steele 41, Irha 86), Occidental 1 (Roline 7)
San Diego Christian 0, Vanguard 6 (Holman-Kelley 30, own goal 50, Couch 59, 60, Valles 63, Tedeschi 77)
Marymount 0, Holy Names 4
Soka 6, Bethesda Christian 0
UC Santa Cruz 1 (Sadler 26), Chapman 1 (Jun 80), OT
Home teams listed first