UCI waits on Big West title
Miguel Ibarra's second-half goal Tuesday night carried UC Irvine past Cal Poly. Now the Anteaters must play a waiting game.
Ibarra (Lancaster/Lancaster HS) finished a feed from his former Taft College teammate Christian Hernandez (Palmdale/Palmdale HS) in the 56th minute to give No. 14 UCI (14-5-1) a 1-0 victory in San Luis Obispo -- and a home assignment for next week's Big West Conference men's soccer tournament semifinals.
The Anteaters, who wrapped up their Big West campaign at 6-3-1, are four points above UC Davis (5-3) and No. 17 UC Santa Barbara (5-4) in the conference standings. The Gauchos can't catch UCI, but Davis has two games left -- and one victory and one tie Wednesday against last-place Cal State Fullerton and Saturday at UC Riverside -- would be enough to catch up.
Davis beat Irvine and would be the No. 1 seed for the conference tournament if they shared the regular-season title.
All four tournament berths were clinched Tuesday, thanks to Irvine's victory and UC Santa Barbara's 3-2 triumph at Cal State Northridge. The Gauchos and UC Riverside will join Irvine and Davis in Wednesday's semifinals.
CSUN and Cal Poly were eliminated from contention.
Luis Silva (Los Angeles/Salesian HS) scored twice, including a deflected shot that found the net with 19 seconds to go in overtime, to lift UC Santa Barbara.
In other men's action:
- Freshman Michael Salazar (Moreno Valley/Canyon Springs HS) scored on a 39th-minute rebound as Cal Baptist (12-5-0) avenged Thursday's overtime loss to take command of the Pacific West Conference race with a 1-0 victory Monday over Grand Canyon in Phoenix. The Lancers are 9-2 in the Pac West, tied with Hawaii Pacific for first place, two points ahead of Grand Canyon (8-2-1) with one game to go.
- Akira Takahata scored twice and Marco Timm assisted three goals to lead Soka (3-12-2) to a 4-1 season-ending victory at Caltech (1-18-0).
WOMEN: PKs send Master's to GSAC semis
Stingy defending and precision from the penalty spot was sufficient for The Master's College, which upended second-seeded Biola in a shootout to advance to the Golden State Athletic Conference tournament semifinals.
Ilyssa Espiritu made a save and Bobbie Roberts (Fontana/Kaiser HS) converted the decisive penalty kick as the Mustangs prevailed, 4-2, in the tiebreaker following a 1-1 draw in in La Mirada.
The teams traded early goals, then saw their defenses take over as the GSAC, one of the NAIA's strongest soccer conferences, kicked off its postseason tournament,
Jessica Long gave The Master's (10-8-1), from Santa Clarita, an eighth-minute lead, but Jessica Austin (Altadena/Maranatha HS) pulled Biola even just five minutes later. The Mustangs limited Biola to just three shots, none in the 20-minute overtime, and advance to face Azusa Pacific in Friday's semifinals.
In other women´s action:
- Azusa Pacific (12-2-1), ranked sixth in NAIA, dictated play the whole way but needed an overtime goal from Natalie Sun to post a 1-0 victory over No. 25 Vanguard (12-5-1) in a GSAC quarterfinal in Azusa.
- Aolani Rueff scored twice as No, 18 Westmont (12-5-0) romped to a 4-0 rout of No. 13 Concordia (13-5-1) in a GSAC quarterfinal in Santa Barbara.
- Top-seeded Point Loma Nazarene (17-1-1), from San Diego, routed Fresno Pacific, 6-0, in the other first-rounder as Erica Wessels and Krista Gregory (Lake Forest/El Toro HS) scored two goals apiece. The Sea Lions will be home for a semifinal Friday against Westmont, the only team to beat them this season.
Cal Poly 0, UC Irvine 1 (Ibarra 56)
Cal State Northridge 2 (Rosas 44, Azulay 89), UC Santa Barbara (Madueno 17, Silva 77, 110)
Caltech 1 (Dong 60), Soka 4 (Scott 9, Takahata 11, 18, Jo 90)
San Diego Christian 3, Bethesda Christian 2, OT
Grand Canyon 0, Cal Baptist 1 (Salazar 39)
Azusa Pacific 1 (Sun 94), Vanguard 0, OT
Biola 1 (Austin 13), The Master's 1 (Long 8), OT (The Master's advances on penalties, 4-2)
Point Loma Nazarene 6 (Wessels 34, 54, Pedlowe 48, Gregory 60, 63, Cameron 86), Fresno Pacific 0
Westmont 4 (Correa 27, Rueff 51, 86, Greene 66), Concordia 0
Home teams listed first