GALAXY: Becks to PSG nearly done?
December, 12, 2011
By Scott French | ESPNLosAngeles.com
Paris Saint-Germain's pursuit of Galaxy midfielder David Beckham is “95 percent complete,” French sports daily L'Equipe reports, citing inside sources at the club.
No such word from Beckham or his representatives, and the English superstar hinted during the Australian leg of the Galaxy's postseason tour that he wouldn't be making a decision, much less announcing one, until after Christmas.
Read more on the story, and the Galaxy's negotiations with defender/midfielder Sean Franklin and midfielder Juninho, here.
WORTH NOTING: The Galaxy are looking to sign a “couple” of academy players to Home Grown Player contracts, and Arena said it could happen in the “next week or two.” Possibilities include U.S. youth national-team veterans Mario Rodriguez (North Hollywood/Poly HS) and Jose Villareal (Inglewood/Leuzinger HS). ... Arena on trading goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts to Montreal: “We had to make [an economic] move with Donovan Ricketts. Donovan Ricketts we would have loved ot keep here at the Galaxy, no question about it. But he was an asset. He was sough after, and we were able to move him, saving us money on the cap and with the allocation dollars we received [in the trade], too.”
ELSEWHERE: More news from around the league:
- Mexican forward Omar Bravo is leaving Sporting Kansas City after one season to sign with Mexico City giant Cruz Azul.
- Seattle transferred Swedish midfielder Erik Friberg to Malmö FF, one of Sweden's top clubs.
- Andres Mendoza, released by Columbus, is headed to Mexican club Atlante.
- Forward Darren Mattocks, a University of Akron sophomore who could be the No. 1 selection in next month's MLS draft if he signs a Generation adidas contract, is likely to sign in Scandinavia, his agent told Soccer By Ives.
- Colorado promoted former NBA and Derby County exec Tim Hinchey from chief marketing officer to president.