OPEN CUP: Fourth-round SuperClasico?
Ready for another Galaxy-Chivas USA showdown? If both clubs win their U.S. Open Cup openers next week, it will happen.
U.S. Soccer's fourth-round pairings are out, and the Galaxy and Chivas are set to meet June 5 at Home Depot Center, as long as both advance. Chivas faces Premier Development League power Ventura County Fusion in a third-round game Tuesday night at Ventura College, and the Galaxy meet the Carolina RailHawks, from the second-division North American Soccer League, in Cary, N.C.
If it's the Galaxy against the Fusion, it will be played at HDC. If Carolina beats L.A., the fourth-round game will be in Cary.
Major League Soccer clubs enter the country's oldest soccer competition -- the initial games were played in 1913 -- in the third round. Ventura County has won twice in overtime, ousting USL Pro side L.A. Blues on Tuesday evening, to advance to the final 32.
The Galaxy and Chivas have played once before in the Open Cup, with L.A. cruising to a 5-2 fourth-round victory at HDC's Track and Field Stadium en route to the 2005 title. Goal scorers for the Galaxy included Cobi Jones, Landon Donovan and Herculez Gomez.
The pairing was expected. Rather than a blind draw, U.S. Soccer regionalizes pairings to cut down on travel costs.
Thousand Oaks' Cal FC, a U.S. Adult Soccer Association side coached by Eric Wynalda, would play three-time defending champion Seattle Sounders in Tukwila, Wash., if it beats the Portland Timbers in the third round. No site has been determined if Cal FC and the Atlanta Silverbacks, who meet the Sounders next week, both pull off upsets.
The Sounders, whose three-year run has been aided by constant home games in the tournament, reached an agreement to move their match against the NASL's Silverbacks from Atlanta, where it was initially scheduled, to Tukwila, Wash., their second home. Real Salt Lake and the NASL's Minnesota Stars also agreed to move their match, from Blaine, Minn., to Rio Tinto Stadium.
Here are the fourth-round possibilities (all times Pacific):
- Chivas USA (MLS)/Ventura County Fusion (PDL) at Galaxy (MLS), Home Depot Center, 7:30; or Chivas USA/Fusion at Carolina RailHawks (NASL): WakeMed Soccer Park (Cary, N.C.); 4:07 p.m.
- Seattle Sounders FC (MLS)/Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL) at Portland Timbers (MLS), 7:30 p.m.; or Cal FC (USASA) at Seattle Sounders FC (MLS), Starfire Sports Complex (Tukwila, Wash.), 7:30 p.m.; or Cal FC vs. Atlanta Silverbacks at venue and time TBD.
- Real Salt Lake (MLS)/Minnesota Stars FC (NASL) at San Jose Earthquakes (MLS), 7:30 p.m.; or Fort Lauderdale Strikers (NASL) at Real Salt Lake, 6 p.m.; or Fort Lauderdale Strikers at Minnesota Stars FC, 5:30 p.m.
- Houston Dynamo (MLS) at FC Dallas (MLS), 5:30 p.m.; or FC Dallas/Charlotte Eagles (USL Pro) at San Antonio Scorpions (NASL), 5:30 p.m.; or Charlotte Eagles at Houston Dynamo, 5:30 p.m.
- New England Revolution (MLS) at New York Red Bulls (MLS), 4 p.m.; or New England Revolution at Charleston Battery (USL Pro), 4 p.m.; or New York Red Bulls/Charleston Battery at Harrisburg City Islanders (USL Pro), 4:30 p.m.
- Philadelphia Union (MLS)/Rochester Rhinos (USL Pro) at D.C. United (MLS), 4:30 p.m.; or Philadelphia Union/Rochester Rhinos at Richmond Kickers (USL Pro), 4 p.m.
- Columbus Crew (MLS)/Dayton Dutch Lions (USL Pro) at Chicago Fire (MLS)/Michigan Bucks (PDL), 4:30 p.m.
- Colorado Rapids (MLS)/Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL) at Sporting Kansas City (MLS), 5:30 p.m.; or Colorado Rapids/Tampa Bay Rowdies at Orlando City SC (USL Pro), 4:30 p.m.