The Galaxy took Uruguayan midfielder Paolo Cardozo with its first selection, the 16th overall, in Thursday's Major League Soccer draft. Cardozo, 21, played in Argentina's second division last season for Quilmes.
L.A. acquired former UCLA striker Chad Barrett in a trade from Toronto FC as the draft began.
Chivas USA sent allocation money to Real Salt Lake for the 14th pick and used it on Victor Estupiñan, a 23-year-old Ecuadoran striker, from LDU Quito, who fared well at the league combine in Fort Lauderdale. The Goats took Akron defender Zarek Valentin with the No. 4 selection.
Draft so far (full first round) …
1. Vancouver: F Omar Salgado (U.S. U-20), GA
2. Portland: F Darlington Nagbe (Akton), GA
3. D.C. United: M Perry Kitchen (Akron), GA
4. Chivas USA: D Zarek Valentin (Akron), GA
5. Philadelphia: G Zac MacMath (Maryland), GA
6. New England: D A.J. Soars (California)
7. Houston: D Kofi Sarkodie (Akron), GA
8. Vancouver: M Michael Nanchoff (Akron), GA
9. Chicago: D Jalil Anibaba (North Carolina)
10. Kansas City: F C.J. Sapong (James Madison)
11. Houston: F Will Bruin (Indiana), GA
12. Columbus: D Rich Balchan (Indiana)
13. New York: F Corey Hertzog (Penn State), GA
14. Chivas USA: F Victor Estupiñan (LDU Quito/Ecuador)
15. Columbus: F Justin Meram (Michigan)
16. Galaxy: M Paolo Cardozo (Quilmes/Argentina)
17. FC Dallas: D/M Bobby Warshaw (Stanford)
18. Colorado: D Eddie Ababio (North Carolina)