Monday, August 22, 2011
COLLEGE: UC Irvine topples No. 11 Texas A&M
By Scott French
Lexi Kopf scored her second goal in as many games and All-America candidate CoCo Goodson led a heroic defensive effort as UC Irvine stunned 11th-ranked Texas A&M, 1-0, to win the Aggies' Invitational in triple-digit heat Sunday.
Kopf, who netted the 88th-minute winner against UT San Antonio in the tournament opener Friday, tallied just eight minutes in from a feed by Dana Sanderlin (Upland/Upland HS) to lead the Anteaters (2-0-0), who are 17th in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America's preseason Top 25. The next ranking will be issued Tuesday.
Irvine withstood a constant barrage from Texas A&M, which rolled up a 21-5 advantage in shots -- 13-1 in the second half -- and 11-2 on corner kicks. A solid defensive effort backed by freshman Jennifer Randazzo's seven saves forged the shutout.
UCI's women have beaten only one team ranked higher the Aggies, upsetting No. 10 Hartford in 1995.
In other games:
- Freshman Brianne Medved's first collegiate goal lifted Loyola Marymount (2-0-0) to a 1-0 win at Texas State, completing the Lions' perfect trip to the Lone Star State.
- Stephanie Ochs' hat trick led San Diego in a 3-1 rout of USC (0-2-0). Pierce College transfer Erica Vangsness (Los Angeles/University HS) tallied for the Women's of Troy with five seconds to go.
- Sophomore Nikki McCants (Corona/Santiago HS) scored twice, matching her freshman total, to carry Cal State Fullerton (1-0-1) past Long Island, 3-1.
- Jazz Strozier (Ventura/Buena HS and Ventura College) scored and assisted Shawna Gordon (Rancho Cucamonga/Los Osos HS) in the first eight minutes as Long Beach State (2-0-0) romped past Sacramento State, 3-0, in its home opener.
- Michelle Manning (Calabasas/Agoura HS) and freshman Lynn Williams tallied for Pepperdine (2-0-0), which beat Arizona, 2-0, in its hjome opener.
- Senior Kayde Hensley's first career goal was enough for UC Riverside (0-1-1) to claim a 1-1 draw against Idaho at UNLV's Rebel Classic.
COMING UP: The NCAA college men's season officially begins Friday, with Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Northridge and UC Irvine starting at home. UCLA, underrated at No. 6 in the NSCAA preseason poll, opens Saturday at No. 1 Louisville in a rematch of last year's thrilling quarterfinal won by the Cardinals. ... UCLA's women head to Knoxville for games against Tennessee and Florida. USC is playing at USD's event. ... UC Riverside stages its Women's Soccer Invitational on Friday and Sunday, with UC Irvine, San Jose State and Mississippi State in the field. ... NAIA power Azusa Pacific's men will hold their Cougar Classic Thursday and Saturday. Westmont, Oklahoma Baptist and NCAA D2 school Grand Canyon join in.
Sunday's results (home teams listed first)
Cal State Fullerton 3 (McCants 14, 77, Gonzalez 81), Long Island 1 (Calderon 67)
Long Beach State 3 (Strozier 4, Gordon 8, Hubbard 23), Sacramento State 0
Pepperdine 2 (Manning 20, Williams 53), Arizona 0
Texas A&M 0, UC Irvine 1 (Kopf 8)
Texas State, Loyola Marymount
UC Riverside 1 (Hensley 27), Idaho 1 (Small 37), OT
USC 1 (Vangsness 90), San Diego 3 (Ochs 30, 55, 82)