Sunday, September 18, 2011
COLLEGE: Freshmen lead No. 4 UCLA
By Scott French
UCLA rallied from a second-half deficit, getting three goals from freshmen in just more than 12 minutes to overcome Loyola Marymount, 3-1, in a nonconference women's soccer showdown on the Lions' Sullivan Field.
Samantha Mewis scored two goals and Kylie McCarthy also tallied for the fourth-ranked Bruins (7-0-1), who won their fourth in a row to close out their nonconference schedule.
LMU (6-2-1) withstood heavy pressure in the first half and asserted its attack after halftime, and Tawni Martino (Irvine/Beckman HS) provided a 59th-minute lead.
It lasted all of eight minutes. Mewis, a 5-foot-11 midfielder from Massachusetts who has starred for the U.S. under-17 and under-20 teams, headed home a corner kick by Chelsea Cline in the 67th minute, and McCarthy netted the go-ahead goal in the 76th. Mewis struck again three minutes later.
In other women´s action:
- Cal Baptist won its inaugural Pacific West Conference clash, routing visiting Academy of Art, 5-0, as Amanda Lammers (Menifee/Calvary Murrieta HS) scored twice and assisted another goal. The Lancers (5-1-0), who had a 35-3 shot advantage, has won four in a row, the last three by shutout. The Riverside school, in its second year of transition from NAIA, is not eligible for the NCAA Division II tournament.
- Lauren Skachenko (Chino Hills/Ayala HS and Cal Poly Pomona) scored two goals as Costa Mesa's Vanguard improved to 6-0-0 with a 3-0 romp over previously unbeaten Bellevue (Neb.) at Menlo's tournament. The Master's, from Santa Clarita, also won in Atherton, edging Holy Names, 3-2.
- Kristen Enriquez (Alta Loma/St. Lucy's Priory HS) scored twice and assisted five goals and Megan Gonzalez (Upland/Upland HS) netted a hat trick and added an assist as Fullerton's Hope International (3-3-0) destroyed future Golden State Athletic Conference foe Arizona Christian, 13-0.
MEN: Vanguard hands Chapman first loss
- Kaitlin Walters (Moorpark/Moorpark HS) tallied 92 seconds into overtime to lift Cal Lutheran (5-1-0) to a 1-0 victory over Redlands (2-2-1), No. 19 in NCAA Division III. The Regals are 2-0-0 in Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference play, and Redlands is 0-2-0.
- Washington State transfer Kerry Moller and Madi Shove scored as Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (1-1-2) won the battle of winless SCIAC sides at Occidental (0-4-0).
- Samantha Thompson and Claire Mueller scored in the first nine minutes, and Pomona-Pitzer (4-1-0) romped to a 4-0 SCIAC win over La Verne (2-2-2) at Damien High School.
Kyle O'Brien and Kevin Cornwall scored first-half goals and combined to set up another at the start of the second half, and Vanguard halted Chapman's perfect start to the season, pulling out a 3-1 triumph in Orange.
O'Brien (Garden Grove/Marina HS) scored in the 29th minute and Cornwall in the 40th for Vanguard (5-3-0), an NAIA school from Costa Mesa. They set up Cal State San Bernardino transfer Billy Pellow (Highland/Redlands East Valley HS) for a 3-0 advantage in the 50th minute. Quinn Murray tallied for the Panthers (5-1-0).
Chapman, ranked 14th in NCAA Division III, had shut out its previous four opponents. Its 5-0-0 start equaled the best in school history.
In other men's action:
- Cal Baptist (3-2-0) made it three wins in a row as Michael Salazar (Moreno Valley/Canyon Springs HS) tallied twice in a 3-0 win over visiting Academy of Art in a Pacific West Conference opener.
- Christian Ramirez (Garden Grove/La Quinta HS) scored a hat trick to lead Irvine's Concordia (5-1-0) past Holy Names, 3-0, in Oakland. The UC Santa Barbara transfer has 12 goals in six games for the Eagles.
- Matthew Howard (Temecula/Great Oak HS) had a hat trick and Edgar Bran (La Habra/La Habra HS) tallied twice and assisted two more goals as Hope International (3-1-0), pulling away with four goals in the last six minutes of the first half, rolled to an 8-0 victory over visiting Arizona Christian.
- Eric Bean and Sam Ullman scored second-half goals to lead defending SCIAC champion Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (4-1-0) in a 2-1 victory over visiting Occidental (1-3-0). The Stags are 2-0-0 in SCIAC action.
- Danny Nasry set up Nate Shekita in the 77th minute and added another goal in the 89th to lead Pomona-Pitzer (2-3-0) to a 2-0 SCIAC victory over visiting La Verne (1-3-0).
- Jonathan Palomino (Los Angeles/Schurr HS) tallied twice in Whittier's 6-0 SCIAC romp over visiting Caltech (0-4-0). The Poets are 2-3-0 after opening conference play with back-to-back wins.
Bethel (Ind.) 0, Azusa Pacific 3 (Bulut 61, Shiokari 70, Nienhuis 78)
Biola 1 (Ruvalcaba 44), Menlo 1 (Barbosa 64), OT
Cal Baptist 3 (Salazar 24, 64, Hope 45), Academy of Art 0
Chapman 1 (Murray 74), Vanguard 3 (O'Brien 29, Cornwall 40, Pellow 50)
Claremont-Mudd Scripps 2 (Beat 54, Ullman 67), Occidental 1 (Brandford 87)
Holy Names 0, Concordia 3 (Ramirez 40, pen. 59, 88)
Hope International 8 (Bran 1, 40, Howard 42, pen. 45, 57, Ramos 43, Hoffer 49, Aghayousef pen. 63), Arizona Christian 0
Pomona-Pitzer 2 (Shekita 77, Nasry 89), La Verne 0
Southwestern (Texas) 1 (Perkins 45), Redlands 4 (Roraff 19, Keny-Guyer 27, Griffin 80, Eary 81)
Whittier 6 (Palomino 13, 48, Guthrie 22, Albright 49, Russell 67, Pina 87), Caltech 0
Cal Baptist 5 (Allard 36, Lammers 50, 65, da Silva 67, Sanchez 77), Academy of Art 0
Cal Lutheran 1 (Walters 92), Redlands 0, OT
Hope International 13 (Thomas 2, 74, Enriquez 5, 9, Hazen 12, Gonzalez 14, 39, 87, Escoto 16, Wilson 26, 63, Bahu 31, Wood 48), Arizona Christian 0
La Verne 0, Pomona-Pitzer 4 (Thompson 2, Mueller 9, Lopez 17, Coba 38)
Loyola Marymount 1 (Martino 59), UCLA 3 (Mewis 67, 79, McCarthy 76)
The Master's 3, Holy Names 3
Occidental 0, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 2 (Moller 32, Shove 47)
Vanguard 3 (Skachenko 16, 80, Couch 76), Bellevue (Neb.) 0
Whittier 1 (Wessel 32), Chapman 4 (Sobol 12, Bortz 37, Lilly 53, Evans 64)