Monday, October 17, 2011
COLLEGE: Hoffman carries UCLA
By Scott French
Chandler Hoffman scored twice in the final 21 minutes and ninth-ranked UCLA toppled No. 24 San Diego State, 2-0, Sunday at Drake Stadium to claim its eighth straight victory against Pacific 12 Conference men's soccer competition.
Hoffman scored in the 70th and 83rd minutes, his 10th and team-best 11th goals of the season, as the Bruins (10-3-1) improved to 5-0 in Pac-12 play with a six-point lead on San Diego State (8-3-2) and Washington (8-3-2), which are 3-2 in conference.
Hoffman, who ended a four-game goal drought, tallied from Kelyn Rowe's long ball to break the scoreless draw, then added the second from a feed by Victor Muņoz, firing home after his first attempt was blocked. Hoffman has 17 goals in his last 20 games for UCLA.
In other men's action:
- Sean Sears and Artur Jozkowicz (Santa Monica/Santa Monica HS) netted second-half goals, and Loyola Marymount (5-9-0) won its third in a row, a 2-1 decision over visiting San Francisco, the West Coast Conference leader heading into the weekend.
- UC Santa Barbara transfer Taylor Rivas (Lancaster/Lancaster HS) tallied in the 87th minute and Cal State L.A. (8-1-5), No. 13 in the NCAA Division II rankings, escaped with a 1-1 draw in a California Collegiate Athletic Association clash at Cal State San Bernardino (5-8-1). UC Irvine transfer Brett Faggioni scored for the Coyotes in the 12th minute.
- Miguel Vasquez (Murrieta/Murrieta Valley HS) scored twice and set up Jordan Rover (Los Alamitos/Los Alamitos HS) for another goal to lead Cal State Dominguez Hills (10-3-1) to a three-goal lead by the 33rd minute, and the Toros held on for a 3-2 CCAA victory at UC San Diego.
- Ferid Celosmanovic tallied 87 seconds into overtime to lift Chico State to a 1-0 CCAA victory at Cal Poly Pomona (9-4-1).
WOMEN: UCI takes command of Big West
Lexi Kopf and Natalia Ledezma netted goals and UC Irvine opened a three-point lead in the Big West Conference with a 2-0 triumph over No. 22 Long Beach State at Anteater Stadium.
Ledezma (La Mirada/La Mirada HS), a UCLA transfer, set up Kopf in the 37th minute and doubled the lead in the 71st to send UCI (11-3-2) to its fourth straight victory. The Anteaters are 4-1-1 in the Big West. Cal State Northridge and UC Davis are 3-1-1.
Long Beach State (10-5-1), which was upset Friday at Northridge, fell to 3-2 in conference play.
UCI, which won the conference's regular-season title last year, held an 18-8 advantage in shots, 11-2 in the first half.
In other women's action:
- Karissa Garcia and Anisa Guajardo scored on rebounds -- both from shots that caromed off the post -- and No. 5 Pepperdine (11-0-4) pulled out a 2-0 win over PCH rival Loyola Marymount (7-6-1) in a West Coast Conference clash. Garcia tallied after Laura Cole (Whittier/La Habra HS) hit the post in the 24th minute, and Guajardo scored her ninth of the season after Katie Gallanes (Yorba Linda/Esperanza HS) fired off the post in the 66th.
- Erin Ortega (Santa Clarita/Saugus HS) and Indiana Mead tallied in the second half to lead UC Santa Barbara (6-9-2) to a 2-0 Big West lead over UC Riverside (7-7-1).
- Nikki McCants (Corona/Santiago HS) tallied in the eighth minute, and Cal State Fullerton (7-7-2) held on for a 1-0 win over Cal State Bakersfield.
- Emily Mardon (Chino Hills/Chino Hills HS) and Jani Carmona scored goals as Cal State San Bernardino (8-5-1) forged a stunning 2-0 CCAA triumph over No. 20 Cal State L.A. (9-3-2).
- Cal Poly Pomona (7-4-3) let a late lead get away for the second time in three days, as Denni Jo Berger scored in the 89th minute and Lisa Webster in overtime to lift visiting Chico State to a CCAA victory.
- Courtney Capobianco (Laguna Beach/Laguna Beach HS) scored in the 89th minute to lift No. 6 UC San Diego to a 1-0 CCAA win over visiting Cal State Dominguez Hills (6-7-1). The Toros have suffered three straight shutout defeats.
- Sinead Vaughan (Simi Valley/Royal HS) scored after 50 seconds and sent in a corner kick for Jen Jones (Thousand Oaks/Thousand Oaks HS) to finish 38 seconds before halftime, and Cal Lutheran (15-1-0), No. 15 in the NCAA Division III rankings, won, 2-0, at UC Santa Cruz.
Cal Poly Pomona 0, Chico State 1 (Celosmanovic 92), OT
Cal State San Bernardino 1 (Faggioni 12), Cal State L.A. 1 (Rivas 88), OT
Loyola Marymount 2 (Sears 56, Jozkowicz 76), San Francisco 1 (Kirkland 78)
Marymount 2, Cal State San Marcos 4
UC San Diego 2 (Wolfrom pen. 81, Arsht 82), Cal State Dominguez Hills 3 (Vasquez 11, Rover 19, Vasquez 33)
UCLA 2 (Hoffman 70, 84), San Diego State 0
La Sierra 4, Bethesda Christian 3, OT
Home teams listed first
Cal Poly Pomona 1 (Carriaga 7), Chico State 2 (Berger 89, Webster 94), OT
Cal State Fullerton 1 (McCants 8), Cal State Bakersfield 0
Cal State San Bernardino 2 (Mardon 34, Carmona 79), Cal State L.A. 0
Loyola Marymount 0, Pepperdine 2 (Garcia 24, Guajardo 66)
Marymount 0, Cal State San Marcos 5
UC Irvine 2 (Kopf 37, Ledezma 71), Long Beach State 0
UC San Diego 1 (Capobianco 89), Cal State Dominguez Hills 0
UC Santa Barbara 2 (Ortega 51, Mead 80), UC Riverside 0
UC Santa Cruz 0, Cal Lutheran 2 (Vaughn 1, Jones 45)