Thursday, October 20, 2011
COLLEGE: UC Davis pulls even with UCI
By Scott French
Kevin Schulte's second goal of the night sunk No. 7 UC Irvine, lifting UC Davis to a 2-1 overtime triumph and into a share of the Big West Conference lead in men's soccer.
Schulte (Riverside/M.L. King HS) tallied from a give-and-go with John Joslin (Santa Ana/Foothill HS) 8˝ minutes into the extra period as the Aggies (6-6-2) pulled off the upset Wednesday night at Anteater Stadium.
Lester Hayes III gave UCI (12-4-0) a 28th-minute lead, but Schulte pulled UC Davis even in the 60th.
The Anteaters, at 4-2, dropped into a tie with UC Davis, three points ahead of Cal Poly and Cal State Northridge, which also were beaten Wednesday.
In other men's action:
- Hayden Leslie (Apple Valley/Apple Valley Christian) scored in the 88th minute and Ivan Garcia (Corona/Santiago HS) with just 19 seconds remaining in regulation to lead UC Riverside (7-5-2) to a 2-1 triumph over Cal State Northridge (6-7-1). The Highlanders ended a four-game winless skid by keeping CSUN from a share of the Big West lead.
- Jameson Campbell (Diamond Bar/Diamond Bar HS) tallied in the seventh minute, and Cal State Fullerton (7-4-3) ended a five-game winless streak, claiming its first Big West win with a 1-0 triumph over Cal Poly. The Mustangs, at 3-3, are three points off the Big West lead.
- Osvaldo Bastida (Anaheim/Katella HS) scored a hat trick, Michael Salazar (Moreno Valley/Canyon Springs HS) added two goals and both contributed an assist as Cal Baptist (10-4-0) romped to a 6-0 Pacific West Conference victory at BYU Hawaii.
- Freshman Carlos Garcia-Partida scored 4˝ minutes into the second half and Azusa Pacific (10-2-1), No. 11 in the NAIA rankings, knocked No. 22 Vanguard (10-5-0) out of the Golden State Athletic Conference lead and climbed into second place with a 1-0 victory. Garcia-Partida's goal was his fifth game-winner of the year.
- Doug Harrell's second goal of the game, from a corner kick 11 minutes into overtime, lifted Westmont to a 4-3 GSAC victory over 10-man Biola (7-5-2). The game featured five goals in the final half-hour of regulation, with Cody Shelton (Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley HS) scoring twice for Biola, with a 90th-minute penalty kick forcing the extra period.
- William Prado (Anaheim/Loara HS and Long Beach City College) assisted two goals and then scored a third, and 13th-ranked Concordia (11-2-0) toppled Point Loma Nazarene, 3-2, to take sole possession of first place in the GSAC.
- Jorge Serrano (Sylmar/Sylmar HS and College of the Canyons) scored two second-half goals, both assisted by Marcelo Silva, and The Master's (10-1-3) rallied for a 2-1 GSAC win over Fresno Pacific.
- Jesus Ramos (Norco/Norco HS) and Chris Tyler (Murrieta/Calvary Murrieta HS) scored five minutes apart to lead Hope International (5-6-1) to a 3-2 GSAC victory at San Diego Christian.
- Jonathan Palomino (Los Angeles/Schurr HS) and Devin Guthrie (Huntington Beach/Servite HS) scored goals three minutes apart early in the first half, and Whittier (6-8-0) claimed a stunning 2-0 victory over Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (10-4-1), the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference's No. 2 side.
- Tyler Pascoe (Winnetka/Crespi Carmelite HS), Bryce Truver and Matt Hubbard scored second-half goals to lead Cal Lutheran (3-13-0) to a 3-1 SCIAC win over La Verne (5-7-1).
- Alex Laughton set up second-half goals by Evan Keny-Guyer and Charles Izydorek (Redlands/Arrowhead Christian Academy) as SCIAC leader Redlands (14-3-0) scored a 6-2 victory over Occidental (4-11-0).
- Alec Halpern scored a goal and set up two more as Pomona-Pitzer (8-7-0) pulled away in the second half to an 8-0 SCIAC rout of Caltech (1-14-0).
- Rodrigo Bravo Beneitez scored a hat trick as Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (10-3-1) ran to an 8-0 SCIAC rout Monday of Caltech.
WOMEN: Cal Baptist hands BYU Hawaii first loss
Fabiola da Silva converted an early penalty kick and Kylee Nicassio added a late insurance goal, and Riverside's Cal Baptist handed BYU Hawaii its first defeat in a showdown between Pacific West Conference leaders.
Da Silva tallied in the third minute and Nicassio (Alta Loma/Los Osos HS) netted her 11th of the season in the 82nd to lift the Lancers (11-1-1) at Laie, Hawaii. Cal Baptist is 7-0-1 in its first season in the Pac West as it transitions to NCAA Division II from NAIA.
BYU Hawaii (8-1-1), which fell to 5-1-1 in conference play, conceded just one shot in the first half -- da Silva's PK -- but couldn't solve a Cal Baptist defense anchored by Danish goalkeeper Nicoline Jorgensen, a Long Beach State transfer who made six saves.
The Lancers have won their first three games on a four-game Hawaiian swing by a combined 8-0 tally.
In other women´s action:
- Concordia (11-3-1), No. 14 in the NAIA rankings, held off No. 4 Point Loma Nazarene until the 87th minute, when Katherine Caldwell scored on a 30-yard free kick for a 1-0 GSAC victory. The Sea Lions lead the conference with a 6-0 record.
- Freshman Logan Chan's goal 8˝ minutes into overtime carried No. 6 Azusa Pacific (8-2-1) to a 1-0 GSAC win Tuesday at Vanguard (9-3-1).
- Sarina Coutin (Saugus/Hart HS and College of the Canyons) scored in the 11th minute, and Biola (8-5-0) won, 2-1, Tuesday at Westmont in a battle for second place in the GSAC. The Lions are 5-1 in conference play.
- Rachel Hartenberger, Alissa Adkins (Lancaster/Desert Christian HS) and Bobbie Roberts (Fontana/Kaiser HS) scored goals and contributed assists as The Master's (9-6-0) romped to a 4-0 GSAC win Tuesday over Fresno Pacific.
- Lindsay Armenta (Camarillo/Rio Mesa HS) scored in the 40th minute to lift Cal Lutheran (16-1-0), ranked 11th in NCAA Division III, to a 1-0 victory over La Verne (2-10-3). The Regals, who lead the SCIAC with a 9-0 mark, outshot their guests, 29-6, and took eight corner kicks to none for the Leopards.
- Alex McHenry's goal before halftime led Occidental (5-7-0) to a 1-0 SCIAC victory over visiting Redlands (8-5-1).
BYU-Hawaii 0, Cal Baptist 6 (Bastida 22, 31, 64, Salazar 42, 76, Fausto 74)
Cal State Fullerton 1 (Campbell 7), Cal Poly 0
La Sierra 3, Cal State San Marcos 1
La Verne 1 (Chavez 87), Cal Lutheran 3 (Pascoe 50, Truver 61, Hubbard 66)
The Master's 2 (Serrano 51, 81), Fresno Pacific 1 (Islas 23)
Point Loma Nazarene 2 (Fares 5, Hall 85), Concordia 3 (Orozco 24, Anaya 48, Prado 73)
Pomona-Pitzer 8 (Mahboubi 19, Ceragioli 25, Nasry 38, MacDonald 56, Raimondo 62, Maier 87, Halpern 89, Raftrey 90), Caltech 0
Redlands 6 (Griffin 6, Kustura 37, Johnson 39, Keny-Guyer 61, Walker 79, Izydorek 87), Occidental 2 (Murray 8, 60)
San Diego Christian 1 (Flores 3), Hope International 3 (Ramos 31, Tyler 36, Hoffer 51)
UC Irvine 1 (Hayes 28), UC Davis 2 (Schulte 60, 99), OT
UC Riverside 2 (Leslie 88, Garcia 90), Cal State Northridge 1 (Ramos 86)
Vanguard 0, Azusa Pacific 1 (Garcia-Partida 50)
Westmont 4 (Kent 18, Harrell 66, 101, Akyen 69), Biola 3 (Cuevas 64, Shelton 84, pen. 90), OT
Whittier 2 (Palomino 17, Guthrie 20), Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 0
Marymount 2 (Edwards 81, Ahlgren 85), Soka 1 (Timm 51)
Cal Lutheran 1 (Yepez 43), Chapman 4 (Aldonso 45, 65, Schmidt 48, Murray 60)
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 8 (Taylor 11, Bravo Beneitez 23, 48, 53, Doyle 25, Bean 61, Shaughnessy 75, Garcia 88), Caltech 0
Hawaii Pacific 0, Cal Baptist 2 (Anderson 10, Salazar 44)
BYU-Hawaii 0, Cal Baptist 2 (da Silva pen. 3, Nicassio 82)
Cal Lutheran 1 (Armenta 40), La Verne 0
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 7, Whittier 3
Occidental 1 (McHenry 44), Redlands 0
Point Loma Nazarene 1 (Caldwell 87), Concordia 0
Marymount 1 (Andrianinen 13), Soka 1 (Barclay 5), OT
The Master's 4 (Hartenberger 20, Adkins 61, Roberts 67, Hall 90), Fresno Pacific 0
San Diego Christian 4 (Waggoner 47, Quintanilla 49, 72, Kelly 69), Hope International 2 (Thomas pen. 36, Enriquez 50)
Vanguard 0, Azusa Pacific 1 (Chan 99), OT
Westmont 0, Biola 1 (Coutin 11)
Hawaii Pacific 0, Cal Baptist 2 (Allard 46, da Silva 72)
Home teams listed first