Thursday, November 3, 2011
Redlands, CMS in SCIAC final
By Scott French
Top-seeded Redlands and No. 2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps romped to easy victories in Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference men's soccer tournament openers Wednesday night to set up a showdown for a berth in the NCAA Division III championship bracket.
Charles Izydorek (Redlands/Arrowhead Christian Academy) scored his 13th goals of the season just before halftime, then set up Alex Laughton as Redlands (18-3-0) pulled away to a 3-0 victory over visiting Pomona-Pitzer (10-9-0). Cody Carlson (Burbank/Burbank HS) scored his 12th for the Bulldogs, who will be home for Saturday's tournament title game.
Connor Doyle (Hidden Hills/Calabasas HS) scored twice and drew a penalty kick for a third goal to lead Claremont (13-5-1) in a 4-0 rout of Whittier (9-9-0), setting up a rematch of last year's tournament final, won by the Stags.
Redlands, ranked 15th in the Division III poll, won its second successive SCIAC regular-season title, going 12-0 in conference play with two victories over Claremont -- 3-0 at home and 3-1 away.
In other men's action:
- UC Irvine clinched a share of the Big West Conference title when Jesse Vega (Whittier/La Serna HS) quickly answered a UC Davis strike to give visiting Cal State Fullerton (7-6-5) a 1-1 draw. Dan Reese provided a 70th-minute lead for Davis (5-3-1 BWC), which would win a tiebreaker with UCI (6-3-1 BWC) for the top seed in the conference tournament if it beats UC Riverside in its regular-season finale. Vega scored less than three minutes later -- and just 48 seconds after Mark Vasquez (Fullerton/Whittier Christian HS) was red-carded, leaving the Titans a man down. Two more red cards, one for each side, were issued in overtime.
- Joe Geletko (Twentynine Palms/Twentynine Palms HS) saved two penalty kicks as second-seeded Azusa Pacific (12-2-3), No. 10 in the NAIA rankings, prevailed in the shootout over surprising Hope International (6-8-2) in a Golden State Athletic Conference quarterfinal. The teams exchanged early goals, the gritted through a tough, physical battle that featured 40 fouls, three red cards and nine yellow cards. APU will be home against Concordia in a semifinal Saturday.
- UC Santa Barbara transfer Christian Ramirez (Garden Grove/La Quinta HS) scored his 17th and 18th goals of the season to lead No. 13 Concordia (13-3-1) to a 2-1 GSAC tournament victory over The Master's (10-5-3).
- Marco Ruvalcaba (La Mirada/La Mirada HS) scored in the 77th minute and Biola (11-5-2), down to 10 men after Daniel Chew (Lake Forest/El Toro HS) was red-carded 10 minutes into the second half, held on for a 1-0 GSAC tournament victory over Vanguard (12-7-0). The Eagles will play at top-seeded Fresno Pacific in Saturday's semifinals.
- Paul Islas' 16th goal of the season, wit just 46 seconds to go in regulation, completed a 2-1 comeback victory for No. 21 Fresno Pacific (12-5-0) over Westmont in a GSAC tournament opener.
Azusa Pacific 1 (Delamarter pen. 4), Hope International 1 (Escareno 6), OT (APU advances on penalties, 3-1)
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 4 (Doyle 27, 67, Ullman pen. 40, Shaugnessy 45), Whittier 0
Concordia 2 (Ramirez 2, 28), The Master's 1 (Serrano 13)
Fresno Pacific 2 (Tyler 60, Islas 90), Westmont 1 (Akyen 22)
Redlands 3 (Izydorek 44, Laughton 72, Carlson 78), Pomona-Pitzer 0
UC Davis 1 (Reese 70), Cal State Fullerton 1 (Vega 72), OT
Vanguard 0, Biola 1 (Ruvalcaba 77)
Home teams listed first