Sunday, November 20, 2011
JC: Nos. 1 and 2 lose openers
By Scott French
Cerritos College was No. 1 in the nation. Santa Barbara City was No. 2 in the seeds. Both are gone just one game into the state community college playoffs.
No. 16 seed Orange Coast (13-4-4), from Costa Mesa, stunned top-seeded Cerritos (20-2-0), winning, 1-0, as Jessica Parker (Fountain Valley/Fountain Valley HS) scored from a 24th-minute corner kick by Nicole Vanderlaan (Aliso Viejo/Aliso Niguel HS).
Santa Barbara (16-2-1) lost on penalties after a scoreless draw with 15th-seeded San Bernardino Valley (13-5-4), the defending state champion coming off an end-of-regular-season upset of Cerritos. Wolverines goalkeeper Jennifer Keats (Moreno Valley/Canyon Springs HS) stopped Katie Voss' attempt in the second round of the shootout.
The Cerritos result might be the biggest upset in the annals of the state JC tournament. The Falcons, who won titles in 2007 and 2008 and reached the semifinals last year, were considered can't-miss for the Dec. 2-4 final four in Sacramento.
“We honestly felt that we could play with this team because we have had plenty of experience playing against teams of this caliber,” Orange Coast coach Kevin Smith told his school's athletics website. “We have [fellow regional semifinalists] Cypress and Santiago Canyon in our conference, and even though we didn't beat either team, we felt like we could compete with them, and that confidence carried over into today's game.”
The beneficiary could be Orange's Santiago Canyon (19-1-1), which is ranked third nationally but was seeded fourth for the Southern California Regionals. The Hawks, who romped to a 5-0 opening-round win over Long Beach City (13-7-1), are the highest remaining seed in that bracket. Two teams from Southern California will advance to the final four.
Orange Coast visits San Diego Miramar (17-0-2) and SBVC plays at College of the Canyons (14-3-3) in the second round Tuesday.
Canyons won, 2-0, over visiting Antelope Valley (16-3-2) as Sydney Tobin (Acton/Vasquez HS) scored at the start and Sarah Seger (Saugus/Saugus HS) at the finish.
In other women's action:
- Set pieces carried third-seeded Ventura (18-3-0) to a 2-1 victory over East L.A. (12-7-3), with Daisy Cardona (Ventura/Buena HS) finishing a 77th-minute free kick by Merissa Campos (Ventura/Buena HS) for the winner. The Pirates are home Tuesday against Cypress (13-4-4), which posted its fifth straight shutout victory, a 2-0 decision at L.A. Pierce (13-3-4).
- Chaffey (15-4-3) was beaten, 1-0, in El Cajon (San Diego County) by Cuyamaca (14-1-5), which will play Tuesday at Santiago Canyon.
In men's action:
- Andres Contreras scored twice to lead Rio Hondo (10-7-5) to a 3-2 victory over visiting Santa Ana (13-6-3). The Roadrunners play Tuesday at Santa Barbara City (16-1-4), a 2-1 winner over L.A. Harbor (7-8-7).
- Salvador Mendoza (Oxnard/Channel Islands HS) led fourth-seeded Oxnard (14-1-6) to a 1-0 victory over Allan Hancock (9-9-4) and into a second-round match against Long Beach City (8-7-6), which pulled out a 3-2 victory at East L.A. (11-5-6).
- Two-time defending state champion Mt. San Antonio (18-0-3), which had a first-round bye, will open against San Diego City (15-3-3), a 3-2 victor over Chaffey (11-5-5). Second-seeded Cerritos (17-2-2) begins against Golden West (12-5-4), which won, 1-0, in overtime against San Bernardino Valley (14-4-3).
San Diego City 3, Chaffey 2
East L.A. 2, Long Beach City 3
Oxnard 1, Allan Hancock 0
Santa Barbara City 2, L.A. Harbor 1
Rio Hondo 3, Santa Ana 2
Golden West 1, San Bernardino Valley 0
Fresno City 2, West Valley 1
Modesto 4, Feather River 0
American River 2, West Hills 1
CC San Francisco 5, Napa Valley 0
Lassen 1, Taft 2
Cabrillo 1, Evergreen Valley 2
Cerritos 0, Orange Coast 1
San Diego Mesa 1, San Diego Miramar 4
Cuyamaca 1, Chaffey 0
Santiago Canyon 5, Long Beach City 0
Ventura 2, East L.A. 1
L.A. Pierce 0, Cypress 2
College of the Canyons 2, Antelope Valley 0
Santa Barbara City 0, San Bernardino Valley 1
Santa Rosa 2, San Joaquin Delta 0
Evergreen Valley 0, American River 1
Modesto 2, Napa Valley 0
Diablo Valley 1, Sierra 0
Fresno City 3, Ohlone 1
Cosumnes River 2, Solano 1
Cabrillo 0, Foothill 1
CC San Francisco 3, Skyline 1
Home teams listed first