Monday, November 22, 2010
JUNIOR COLLEGE: Rematch of state champs
By Scott French
The JC state women's championship has gone to Santiago Canyon or Cerritos the past three years, so it's not so far-fetched to consider the winner of Tuesday's showdown the favorite for this crown.
The rankings say otherwise -- L.A. Pierce, the top seed, could await the winner -- but we're going with history.
Fifth-seeded Santiago Canyon (19-1-1) opened defense of its state title over the weekend with a 2-0 victory over Chaffey as Dyanne Anderson (San Clemente/Dana Hills HS) scored on goal and set up another. The Hawks were ranked No. 1 nationally from preseason until a Nov. 9 loss to Cypress (18-1-3).
Sixth seed Cypress' only loss this season was, yes, to Santiago Canyon.
Fourth-seeded Cerritos (19-1-2), which routed East L.A., 6-0, in its Southern California Regional opener as Tiffany Schultz (Santa Ana/Mater Dei HS) scored twice and assisted a third goal, will be home for Tuesday's regional semifinal. The Falcons won the state titles in 2007 and 2008, but they lost last year to Santiago Canyon at this stage.
Other first-round heroes:
- Fredy Razo (Lake Forest/El Toro HS) scored his 26th goal of the season, an overtime strike, to carry Irvine Valley's men past East L.A., 2-0.
- Jesus Landeros (Oxnard/Channel Islands HS) converted a penalty kick in overtime to lead Oxnard's men to a 3-2 win at L.A. Harbor.
- Taylor Steele (Camarillo/St. Bonaventure HS) scored on a penalty in stoppage to give Ventura a 2-1 triumph over San Diego Mesa.
- Chadd Johnson (Brea/Brea Olinda HS) tallied in the 90th minute as Cerritos' men edged Chaffey, 1-0.
- Andres Bueno (Santa Clarita/Golden Valley HS) had a goal and assist in College of the Canyons' 3-0 men's romp over Palomar.
- SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA REGIONALS
Saturday's results (home teams listed first)
L.A. Harbor (Harbor City) 2, Oxnard (Oxnard) 3, OT
Santa Barbara City (Santa Barbara) 3, Allan Hancock (Santa Maria) 2
San Diego City (San Diego) 2, Rio Hondo (Whittier) 1
Cerritos (Norwalk) 1, Chaffey (Rancho Cucamonga) 0
College of the Canyons (Santa Clarita) 3, Palomar (San Marcos) 0
Irvine Valley (Irvine) 2, East L.A. (Monterey Park) 1, OT
L.A. Pierce (Woodland Hills) 1, Long Beach City (Long Beach) 0
Santa Monica (Santa Monica) 0, El Camino (Torrance) 1
Santiago Canyon (Orange) 2, Chaffey (Rancho Cucamonga) 0
Cerritos (Norwalk) 6, East L.A. (Monterey Park) 0
San Bernardino Valley (San Bernardino) 3, Bakersfield (Bakersfield) 1
Cypress (Cypress) 4, Miramar (San Diego) 2
Santa Barbara City (Santa Barbara) 7, Moorpark (Moorpark) 1
Ventura (Ventura) 2, San Diego Mesa (San Diego) 1
Oxnard (13-4-5) at Mt. San Antonio (Walnut, 15-1-4), 4 p.m.
Santa Barbara City (16-2-3) at San Diego City (17-2-3), 2 p.m.
College of the Canyons (14-5-2) at Cerritos (11-2-9), 11 a.m.
Irvine Valley (15-4-2) at Santa Ana (Santa Ana, 14-3-4), 2 p.m.
El Camino (13-6-3) at L.A. Pierce (20-0-2), 2 p.m.
Santiago Canyon (19-1-1) at Cerritos (19-1-2), 2 p.m.
Cypress (18-1-3) at San Bernardino Valley (17-1-3), 2 p.m.
Santa Barbara (16-3-2) at Ventura (16-3-2), 5:30 p.m.