Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Guadalajara-Real Madrid: It's official
By Scott French
The anticipated friendly between Guadalajara and Real Madrid is a done deal, set for Wednesday, July 20, at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, with kickoff at 8 p.m. The game comes four days after Real meets the Galaxy at the Coliseum.
Guadalajara also will face Barcelona, on Aug. 3 in Miami Gardens, Fla.
The match is part of the 2011 World Football Challenge series of exhibitions this summer in North America. The schedule so far (all times Pacific):
- July 13: New England Revolution vs. Manchester United (England) at Foxborough, Mass., 5 p.m.
- July 16: Galaxy vs. Real Madrid at the Coliseum, Los Angeles, 7 p.m.
- July 18: Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Manchester City (England) at Vancouver, British Columbia, 7 p.m.
- July 20: Guadalajara (Mexico) vs. Real Madrid (Spain) at Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, 8 p.m.
- July 23: Chicago Fire vs. Manchester United (England) at Chicago, 2 p.m.
- July 24: Galaxy vs. Manchester City (England) at Home Depot Center, 1 p.m.
- July 30: Barcelona (Spain) vs. Manchester United (England) at Landover, Md., 4 p.m.
- Aug. 3: Barcelona (Spain) vs. Guadalajara (Mexico) at Miami Gardens, Fla.
- Aug. 6: Barcelona (Spain) vs. America (Mexico) at Arlington, Texas, 1 p.m.
In addition, Manchester United will meet MLS's best in the league all-star game on July 27 in Harrison, N.J.
Guadalajara, the original Chivas, is one of Mexico's two biggest clubs, seen as an instrument of Mexican loyalty because of its policy of fielding only Mexican players. It's coming off a fine Clausura campaign in which it knocked off top seed UANL Tigres en route to the semifinals.
Real Madrid, one of the world's great clubs, is expected to hold preseason camp in Los Angeles -- it's manager Jose Mourinho's favorite summer venue; he previously brought Chelsea and Inter Milan to train at UCLA, and Real Madrid caused a sensation on campus last year.