Los Angeles Soccer: Boris Beta
All-American Sydney Leroux scored a hat trick in 11 minutes Friday night, and seventh-ranked UCLA romped to a 6-1 victory over visiting Arizona in a Pacific 12 Conference women's soccer game.
Leroux, a burgeoning U.S. national-teamer, tallied in the 10th, 12th and 21st minutes for the Bruins (11-1-2), who scored four first-half goals as they halted a three-game winless streak and improved to 4-1-2 in conference play.
The goals were Leroux's eighth, ninth and 10th of the season and give her 51 career goals. The hat trick was the third of her college career.
Zakiya Bywaters, Ally Courtnall (Westlake Village/Oaks Christian HS) and Kylie McCarthy also tallied for UCLA, which outshot the Wildcats, 24-2. Sam Mewis contributed three assists.
In other women´s action:
- Claire Schloemer (Newport Beach/Mater Dei HS) struck four minutes into overtime, and USC (5-11-0) claimed its first home victory of the season -- following seven defeats -- with a wild 2-1 triumph over Arizona State. Ashli Sandoval (Jamul/Granite Hills HS) broke a scoreless draw in the 83rd and set up Schloemer's winner after Devin Marshall's header with 38 seconds to go in regulation tied the score. It
- Ally Holtz took advantage of poor back pass to Gonzaga's goalkeeper, nodding the ball into the lower-left corner in the 77th minute to lift No. 4 Pepperdine (12-0-4) to a 1-0 West Coast Conference victory.
- Nicole Sweetman (Oxnard/Oaks Christian HS and UCLA) scored on a 75th-minute header, and Long Beach State (11-5-1) ended a two-game skid with a 1-0 Big West victory over UC Riverside (7-8-0).
The fifth-ranked Anteaters and the Titans suffered their first defeats Sunday, dropping tight encounters on the East Coast.
Irvine (7-1-0) fell, 2-0, in a showdown with 12th-ranked South Florida, which got goals from Wesley Charpie in the 13th minute and Dom Dwyer in the 82nd.
Fullerton (5-1-1), which is ranked 24th by Soccer America, was beaten, 2-1, at George Mason on Taylor Morgan's penalty kick with about 20 minutes to go. Nick Posthuma (Pasadena/St. Francis HS) scored for the Fullerton in the 52nd minute, answering Julio Aronja's strike in the final minute of the second half.
In other men's action:
- Kelyn Rowe's spectacular shot from 30 yards -- off the left post, off the right post and in -- 88 seconds into overtime lifted UCLA (4-2-1) to a 1-0 victory at San Diego.
- Ben Sperber (Palm Desert/Desert Christian HS) provided an early lead, but UC Riverside (3-2-1) settled for a 1-1 draw with visiting San Jose State when Nick Cashmere tallied with 92 seconds left in regulation.
- Jason Swope scored twice in the final 10 minutes of regulation as Cal State L.A. (4-0-2), ranked 10th in NCAA Division II, rallied for a 2-2 California Collegiate Athletic Association draw with visiting Chico State.
- Cal State Dominguez Hills (3-2-1) closed a tough CCAA weekend as Cal State Stanislaus used a physical game plan -- committing 25 fouls to 11 for the Toros -- en route to a 1-0 victory. CSUDH was ranked 23rd in the NCAA Division II poll but lost, 5-0, Friday to Chico State.
- Cal Poly Pomona (4-2-0) topped visiting UC San Diego, 3-0, in a CCAA clash on goals by Boris Beta, Ian Trantow (Riverside/Arlington HS) and Jonathan Enns.
Nicole Hubbard scored a hat trick as Long Beach State broke out a deadly attack Sunday afternoon, routing St. Mary's, 6-0, at George Allen Field.
Hubbard (Lakewood/Mayfair HS) tallied in the 17th, 29th and 64th minutes for the 49ers (6-3-0), who also received big games from Shawna Gordon and Nadia Link.