Los Angeles Soccer: CIF L.A. City Section
It's high school playoff time: Pairings were released Saturday and Monday and the first games will be played Tuesday.
It begins with wild-card games Tuesday and Wednesday in the CIF Southern Section, with first-round games Thursday and Friday. First-round games in the CIF Los Angeles City Section will be played Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Full brackets are available at the Southern Section and L.A. City Section websites.
Championships in 19 divisions will decided March 2 and 3, with Southern Section finals scheduled for Mission Viejo High School and Warren High School in Downey and L.A. City title games expected to be played at Contreras Learning Center near downtown.
Here are the top four seeds in each division:
El Camino Real High School's 10th CIF L.A. City Section girls soccer title required something extraordinary. Jackie Altschuld provided it.
The sophomore forward scored a spectacular goal 27 minutes into overtime Saturday night at Contreras Learning Center in Los Angeles to lift the top-seeded Conquistadores (20-2-3) past Palisades, 1-0, and into double digits.
ECR, from Woodland Hills, becomes the seventh team in state history to win at least 10 sectional titles and the second in the L.A. City Section. Chatsworth has won 11, but the Conquistadores' trophies have been won in 11 seasons.
Altschuld lifted the ball over a defender's head, raced past her to collect and fired into the upper-left corner with just three minutes to go before a penalty-kick shootout. ECR is unbeaten in its past 30 games against City Section opposition and is 48-1 in City playoff games since losing in the 2000 semifinals.
Dylann O'Connor nearly decided the match twice, but she hit the right post in the 69th minute and Pali goalkeeper Kiki Bailey made a superb save on her header three minutes before Altschuld struck.
Palisades, from Pacific Palisades, finished 24-1-0.
All L.A. City Section finals Friday and Saturday were played at Contreras.
In other championship games:
BOYS LARGE SCHOOLS
South East (South Gate) 0, Banning (Wilmington) 0, OT
(South East wins on penalties, 4-3)
Goalkeeper Juan Escobar was the hero, making two saves in the penalty-kick shootout to give the second-seeded Jaguars (20-2-11) their first boys soccer title. Escobar made a diving save on Alejandro Diaz on the fourth round of kicks to give South East command, then stopped Brian Gonzalez on Banning's next attempt to start the celebration. Escobar also made big saves on Joseph Jimenez and Peter Velazquez in the first 10 minutes and halted Jose Monroy one-on-one in the dying moments of regulation.
CIF L.A. CITY SECTION
at Contreras Learning Center (Los Angeles)
Boys Small Schools: Elizabeth Learning Center (Cudahy, 11-2-5) vs. Annenberg (Los Angeles, 14-4-2), 4:30 p.m.
Girls Small Schools: Northridge Academy (14-3-0) vs. LACES (Los Angeles, 12-5-4), 7 p.m.
Boys Large Schools, third place: West Adams Prep (Los Angeles, 13-4-5) vs. Fremont (Los Angeles, 14-8-4), 10 a.m.
Girls Invitational: Carson (10-9-4) vs. Hamilton (West Los Angeles, 14-5-2), 12:30 p.m.
Boys Large Schools: Banning (Wilmington, 14-2-2) vs. South East (South Gate, 20-2-10), 3 p.m.
Girls Divisional: El Camino Real (Woodland Hills, 19-2-3) vs. Palisades (Pacific Palisades, 23-1-0), 5:30 p.m.
CIF SOUTHERN SECTION
Friday at Mission Viejo HS
Girls Division 6: St. Margaret's (San Juan Capistrano, 24-4-3) vs. San Dimas (20-2-2), 5 p.m.
Girls Division 1: San Clemente (18-2-8) vs. Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy (La Caņada Flintridge, 20-1-1), 7:30 p.m.
Friday at Warren HS (Downey)
Girls Division 5: Desert Christian (Lancaster, 21-0-1) vs. Downey (18-9-1), 5 p.m.
Girls Division 3: Ayala (Chino Hills, 21-4-3) vs. Bishop Amat (La Puente, 26-1-0), 7:30 p.m.
Saturday at Mission Viejo HS
Girls Division 7: Animo Leadership (Inglewood, 11-3-1) vs. Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth, 14-1-2), 9:30 a.m.
Boys Division 6: Desert Hot Springs (14-8-3) vs. Citrus Hill (Perris, 13-6-3), noon
Girls Division 4: Oaks Christian (Westlake Village, 22-2-1) vs. Canyon Springs (Moreno Valley, 21-1-4), 2:30 p.m.
Boys Division 3: Paramount (14-2-6) vs. Fontana (17-5-0), 5 p.m.
Boys Division 2: Claremont (21-1-5) vs. Capistrano Valley (Mission Viejo, 15-5-9), 7:30 p.m.
Saturday at Warren HS (Downey)
Boys Division 4: Oak Hills (Hesperia, 23-2-3) vs. El Rancho (Pico Rivera, 22-0-1), 9:30 a.m.
Boys Division 5: Carpinteria (19-3-4) vs. Baldwin Park (20-2-2), noon
Boys Division 7: Cate (Carpinteria, 21-0-0) vs. Mammoth (Mammoth Lakes, 21-2-3), 2:30 p.m.
Girls Division 2: Buena (Ventura, 19-5-4) vs. Wilson (Long Beach), 18-5-5, 5 p.m.
Boys Division 1: San Clemente (16-6-6) vs. Santa Barbara (19-5-4), 7:30 p.m.
Here are the CIF L.A. City Section quarterfinal scores and semifinal schedule in boys soccer and Friday's quarterfinal schedule in the CIF Southern Section:CIF L.A. CITY SECTION
Wednesday's results (home teams listed first)
- Bell 1, West Adams Prep (Los Angeles) 2
- Banning (Wilmington) 6, Palisades (Pacific Palisades) 1
- South East (South Gate) 2, Sylmar 1, OT
- Fremont (Los Angeles) 1, Locke (Los Angeles) 1, OT (Fremont advances on penalties)
- Academia Avance (Highland Park) 4, East Valley (North Hollywood) 1, OT
- Elizabeth Learning Center (Cudahy) 2, LACES (Los Angeles) 0
- Annenberg (Los Angeles) 1, Animo Jackie Robinson (Los Angeles) 0
- Foshay Learning Center (Los Angeles) 1, Fulton College Prep (Van Nuys) 1, OT (Foshay advances on penalties, 6-5)
Monday's games (3 p.m.)
- West Adams Prep (Los Angeles) at Banning (Wilmington)
- Fremont (Los Angeles) at South East (South Gate)
- Elizabeth LC (Cudahy) at Academia Avance (Highland Park)
- Foshay LC (Los Angeles) at Annenberg (Los Angeles)
CIF SOUTHERN SECTION
Friday's games (3 p.m.)
- St. John Bosco (Bellflower) at Edison (Huntington Beach)
- San Clemente at St. Francis (Pasadena)
- West Torrance at Loyola (Los Angeles)
- Santa Barbara at JSerra (San Juan Capistrano)
- Great Oak (Temecula) at M.L. King (Riverside)
- Claremont at Foothill (Santa Ana)
- Arlington (Riverside) at Capistrano Valley (Mission Viejo)
- Canyon Springs (Moreno Valley) at La Habra
- Corona del Mar (Newport Beach) at Santa Maria
- Cabrillo (Lompoc) at Paramount
- Warren (Downey) at Century (Santa Ana)
- Fontana at Hart (Newhall)
- Santa Monica at Oak Hills (Hesperia)
- Artesia (Lakewood) at Salesian (Los Angeles)
- Ganesha (Pomona) at Cathedral (Los Angeles)
- El Rancho (Pico Rivera) at Crescenta Valley (La Crescenta)
- La Caņada (La Caņada Flintridge) at Carpinteria
- Cajon (San Bernardino) at Oaks Christian (Westlake Village)
- Los Amigos (Fountain Valley) at Baldwin Park
- Animo Leadership (Inglewood) at Victor Valley (Victorville)
- San Jacinto at Crossroads (Santa Monica)
- Rubidoux (Riverside) at Desert Hot Springs
- St. Margaret's (San Juan Capistrano) at Beaumont
- Marshall (Pasadena) at Citrus Hill (Perris)
- Cate (Carpinteria) at The Grove (Redlands)
- University Preparatory (Victorville) at La Sierra Academy (Riverside)
- Paraclete (Lancaster) at West Shores (Salton City)
- Mammoth (Mammoth Lakes) at Kilpatrick (Malibu)