Los Angeles Soccer: Concordia University
September, 5, 2011
By Scott French | ESPNLosAngeles.com
UC Santa Barbara transfer Christian Ramirez scored his sixth and seventh goals of the weekend to lead Concordia University in a 5-1 NAIA romp Monday over Rancho Palos Verdes' Marymount College in Irvine.
Ramirez (Garden Grove/La Quinta), who has eight goals in four games, set a school record with five goals, along with two assists, in Friday's 10-0 rout of William Jessup. He also scored in a 1-0 victory last weekend at Embry-Riddle (Ariz.)
The former youth-soccer star -- a Cal South Player of the Year and ODP Region IV captain who played for Irvine Strikers, Pateadores and San Diego Surf -- scored one goal in 24 games over two seasons at UCSB before arriving at Concordia this summer.
Concordia is 3-1-0. Marymount, after three losses to teams from the powerhouse Golden State Athletic Conference, is 1-3-0.
In other men's action:
- Marco Ruvalcaba (La Mirada/La Mirada HS) scored two goals and assisted a third as Biola (3-0-0) crunched visiting Whittier, 4-0.
- Oktay Bulut scored twice to lead Azusa Pacific (3-1-0) a 3-1 victory over Rocky Mountain (Mont.) at conference rival Westmont's tournament in Santa Barbara.
In women's action:
- Azusa Pacific (3-0-1), ranked second in NAIA (but with a victory over No. 1 Lee), was held to a 0-0 draw at NCAA Division III Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (0-0-2).
- Concordia (Ore.), the No. 3 NAIA team, beat No. 9 The Master's (3-2-0) as Alex Thomas and Alex Blalock scored goals.
- Kate Lilly twice gave Chapman (0-1-1) leads, but Melanie Gaither answered both as George Fox claimed a 2-2 draw in Orange.
BACK TO TOP