Los Angeles Soccer: Courtney Garcia
UCLA doesn't look much like the title contender it might be destined to become -- not yet. The Bruins, ranked as high as fourth nationally, lost again Sunday, leaving them winless in three games.
Alex Henry's goal nearly 10 minutes into overtime carried UC Davis to a 2-1 home triumph, the Aggies' first victory over UCLA in program history.
“Our team executed our tactics perfectly today, and I knew that eventually we were going to get one on them,” UC Davis coach Dwayne Shaffer told his school's athletics website. “It's a huge win for our program, and it means a lot not only to our players, but to our entire athletics department.”
Chandler Hoffman scored from Kelyn Rowe's through ball in the 87th minute to give life to the Bruins, who were down to 10 men after Ryan Lee's red card four minutes earlier.
Goalkeeper Omar Zeenni (Arcadia/Crespi Carmelite HS) made eight saves for UC Davis (1-1-1).
UCLA (0-2-1) lost its opener at No. 1 Louisville and tied Santa Clara on Friday. The first home game is Friday night at Drake Stadium against St. Mary's.
In other men's action:
- Christian Hernandez (Palmdale/Palmdale HS) scored his third and fourth goals as No. 14 UC Irvine (4-0-0) topped visiting Drake, 2-1.
- David Opoku's 16th-minute goal gave No. 9 UC Santa Barbara (3-0-0) a Carolina sweep with a 1-0 victory at North Carolina State.
- Jake Dobkins and Omar Mata scored goals seven minutes apart to give Tulsa a 2-1 win over No. 25 Loyola Marymount (1-2-0).
- Nick Echeverry (Anaheim/Servite HS) scored just 19 seconds after kickoff, enough for Chapman (2-0-0) in a 1-0 win over Puget Sound.
- Cal Lutheran got its season off to a dream start -- Raul Yepez (Oxnard/Pacifica HS) scores twice in the first 29 minutes -- but Fontbonne, from St. Louis, rallied for a 3-2 victory.
- Matt Sykes' penalty kick in overtime carried Grand Canyon to a 2-1 win over Cal Poly Pomona (1-1-0).
THREE IN A ROW FOR USC: Courtney Garcia (Yorba Linda/Esperanza HS), just moments after coming off the bench, knocked home an overtime rebound, and USC (3-3-0) rallied for its third successive win, a 2-1 decision at Purdue.
Elizabeth Eddy (Newport Beach/Newport Harbor HS) scored an equalizer in the 63rd minute for USC, which beat No. 17 Illinois in Friday's opener at the Illini/Boilermaker Cup.
USC and UC Irvine moved on with opening-round wins Friday in the NCAA Division I women's tournament, but Long Beach State was eliminated despite dominating play against Santa Clara.
Two local men's teams -- Cal State San Bernardino and Claremont-Mudd-Scripps -- were beaten in their NCAA openers.
TROJANS ROLL: USC methodically built a three-goal lead and cruised into the second round of the Division I tournament with a 3-1 triumph over Illinois in South Bend, Ind.
Ashley Freyer scored in the 31st minute, Ashli Sandoval (Jamul/Granite Hills HS) in the 56th and Samantha Johnson (Palmdale/Highland HS) in the 76th for the Women of Troy (13-5-3), who Sunday will face host Notre Dame (16-2-2), a 3-0 winner over New Mexico.
Freyer finished from a ball over the Illini backline by Brittany Kerridge, Sandoval scored on a 50-yard free kick to the upper-right corner, and Johnson tallied from a feed by Courtney Garcia (Yorba Linda/Esperanza HS).
ANTEATERS RALLY: Devon Delarosa scored goals two minutes apart and No. 16 UC Irvine rallied to beat Arizona State, 2-1, in a Division I opener before a school-record crowd of 1,058 at Anteater Stadium.