The Galaxy have a new midfielder, is he's to be believed.
Marcelo Sarvas, whom the Galaxy battled twice this year in CONCACAF Champions League play, has signed a two-year contract with two option years, his agent told Costa Rican sports website Al Pie del Deporte.
Sarvas, who plays for reigning Costa Rican champion Alajuelense, last week told Costa Rican daily La Nacion that he was weighing a two-year deal from the Galaxy against a three-year offer to stay at Alajuela and that he was “postponing [a decision] as long as possible because the truth is that I don't know what decision to make. The economics [of the Galaxy offer] is very good.”
A Galaxy spokesman said the club, as is its policy in such matters, would have no comment.
Sarvas, 30, is from Sao Paulo, began his pro career with Corinthians and played for clubs in Sweden and Poland before signing with Alajuela last January. He is preparing for Liga's Invierno (fall) title series against Herediano, although he is suspended for Sunday's first leg.
The Galaxy, which this season won the MLS Cup/Supporters' Shield double in Major League Soccer and advanced to next year's Champions League knockout stage, arrived home Wednesday morning from a 12-day, three-game postseason tour to Indonesia, the Philippines and Australia.
The players will be off, national team considerations aside, until probably the third week of January, but head coach/general manager Bruce Arena and his staff has pressing work to do determining his roster for next season.
The pivotal decision is David Beckham's, and everything the Galaxy must accomplish this offseason will be determined by his choice. The English superstar, who five-year contract ends at the close of December, could re-sign with the Galaxy, accept Paris Saint-Germain's millions or, far less likely, return home to England.
L.A.'s attack runs through Beckham, whose pinpoint passing over distance unlocks defenses, and an offensive rethink would be necessary if he departs. Sarvas' acquisition would provide another option for the team.
PSG's Qatari ownership has been dogged in its pursuit of Beckham, whom it hopes can raise the club's profile, help attract top talent and enhance commercial opportunities, including Qatari-owned Al-Jazeera's coming coverage of Ligue 1, the top soccer league in France.
The club has found luxury housing in the city and a villa outside Paris for Beckham and his family and have approached the British School of Paris, located in suburban Crossy-sur-Seine, about admitting Beckham's three sons, according to French daily Le Parisien. British tabloid Daily Star Sunday last month reported that Victoria Beckham, the former Posh Spice, had told her husband she does not want to leave Los Angeles.
Le Parisien reports that the biggest holdup in PSG's Beckham chase is a disagreement over merchandising money and that a meeting this week between the club and his representatives weas postponed. Beckham had full control of his image rights under his Galaxy contract.
WORTH NOTING: Landon Donovan has set Aussie hearts a-flutter with his postgame comment after Tuesday's 2-2 draw with the Melbourne Victory that he had “always thought about playing here. If I had the opportunity to play again somewhere in Europe, or potentially here, [it] would be great.” ... Spanish midfielder Guti, who earlier this year was linked by European media to the Galaxy, says an MLS move is possible after canceling his contract with Turkish power Besiktas. China and Qatar also are options for the former Real Madrid and Spanish national team star.
ELSEWHERE: Other news from around MLS:
Midfielder John Thorrington (Palos Verdes Estates/Chadwick School) and goalkeeper Joe Cannon, a former Galaxy starter, re-signed with Vancouver after pulling out of MLS's re-entry process.
Philadelphia signed Costa Rican national-teamer Josue Martinez, 21, from Saprissa.
Seattle signed 6-foot-5 Austrian goalkeeper Michael Gspurning, 30, who spent the past four years in Greece with Skoda Xanthi.
Forward Lee Nguyen, who made three U.S. national team appearances in 2007, signed with MLS and will be assigned to a club through a weighted lottery. The Texan has played in Holland, Denmark and Vietnam.
Montreal signed Colombian forward Miguel Montaņo, 20, who this season played with the Impact, in the second-tier North American Soccer League, on loan from Seattle.
Talks between Montreal and French striker Nicolas Anelka have broken off amid reports he is signing with Shanghai Shenhua.