Los Angeles Soccer: Joao Toscan
The Master's College improved to 5-0-0 and won its men's tournament title Saturday, edging Oakland's Holy Names in a showdown for the trophy.
Marcelo Silva converted an 84th-minute penalty kick to lift the Santa Clarita-based Mustangs, who went ahead when Fabrice Gautrat (Valencia/Hart HS) headed in a cross from Jorge Serrano (Sylmar/Sylmar HS and College of the Canyons) in the seventh minute. Henry Goh pulled Holy Names even in the 78th.
Biola (4-1-0), ranked 14th in NAIA, also won, bouncing back from its loss to Holy Names with a 3-1 win over Westminster (Utah). Carlos Ballesteros (Sun City/Paloma Valley HS), Joao Toscan and Daniel Chew (Lake Forest/El Toro HS) scored goals.
In other men's action:
- Matthew Howard (Temecula/Great Oak HS) scored and set up Jesus Ramos (Norco/Norco HS) as Fullerton's Hope International rallied to beat Whittier, 3-2.
- James Ross' goal seven minutes into overtime lifted Riverside's La Sierra past Occidental, 2-1.
- Anaheim's unaffiliated Bethesda Christian (5-0-0) won Soka University's Peace Cup in Aliso Viejo, toppling Rancho Palos Verdes' Marymount, 2-1, in the title game.
WOMEN: Defending champs top Cal Lu
Cal Lutheran was beaten for the first time this season, falling to defending NCAA Division III champion Hardin-Simmons in a tight clash in Abilene, Texas.
Austin Ricker and Courtney Cramer scored on each side of halftime to lead the 14th-ranked Cowgirls (2-1-0) to a 2-0 victory. No. 12 Cal Lutheran (3-1-0) was coming off a 10-0 rout of Texas Lutheran.
In other women's action:
- Kylee Nicassio (Alta Loma/Los Osos HS) tallied twice as Cal Baptist (3-1-0) crushed College of Idaho, 4-0.
- Traci Lopez's first-half goals gave Pomona-Pitzer (2-0-0) a 2-0 win over visiting Biola, the NCAA Division III Sagehens' second shutout over NAIA opposition.
- Kiri Christiansen scored both goals in Marymount's 2-0 win at Soka.