Los Angeles Soccer: Jon Conway
Miguel Lopez's loan assignment with the Galaxy has ended, and has the Argentine midfielder/forward has returned to Quilmes, the suburban Buenos Aires club has confirmed.
Paolo Cardozo's situation isn't so clear.
Lopez began training last week with Quilmes, which is preparing for next month's start to the Clausura campaign in the second-tier Nacional B Division. The Galaxy, which signed Lopez on loan last January, has not announced any move involving the player, who told an Argentine newspaper that his time in L.A. was most beneficial.
“The experience was very positive,” Lopez said, according to reports in Diario Perspectiva Sur. “The city, the people, the club, everything was very good -- both on and off the field. And the experience helped me grow as a player, taught me another kind of football that can help me contribute here. Because it is a very physical football [in MLS], and that helped me a lot.”
Cardozo, whom the Galaxy selected in the first round of last year's MLS SuperDraft, also was set to return to Quilmes, according to Diario El Sol, which quoted head coach Ricardo Caruso Lombardi as saying he needed “to see the two players. If I like them both, then they'll be welcomed here.”
Lopez was on the roster for Quilmes' camp this week in Mar del Plata, but Cardozo is not on the list.
Lopez, 23, started 14 and played in 24 league games for the Galaxy last season, scoring a goal and adding three assists. He played in 32 first-team games in all.
Cardozo, who impressed last season with extraordinary skill on the ball -- he was the Galaxy's most technical player -- started eight and played in 18 league matches and featured in 27 first-team games. He also played in all nine MLS Reserve League matches, scoring two goals.
UPDATE (3:30 p.m.): Galaxy coach/GM Bruce Arena confirmed Tuesday that Lopez has returned to Quilmes but that he anticipates Cardozo, who is on loan from Quilmes, will return to the Galaxy this season.
He also said New Zealander defender Andrew Boyens, selected from Chivas in the re-entry draft, has been signed and that the club is looking to extend the loan agreement with Sao Paulo for central defender Leonardo.
NO CONWAY: Goalkeeper Jon Conway, whom the Galaxy selected in last month's second-stage re-entry draft, announced his retirement Tuesday after 12 seasons in MLS.
The Galaxy picked up the rights to four players in Monday's second-stage draft in Major League Soccer's re-entry process, and they have a week to reach an agreement with them.
Here's a quick look at the quartet:
- ANDREW BOYENS
Who is he?Tall, somewhat clumsy defender with New Zealand national team experience has spent six seasons in MLS, starting 30 games over 2008-09 for New York. The 28-year-old center back started 10 games for Chivas USA last season but played in just one of 19 games from June 1 through Sept. 21.
2011 contract: $60,000, with Chivas USA.
Numbers: 12 games (10 starts, 909 minutes) with one goal in 2011; 70 games (63 starts) with two goals and an assist in six seasons with Toronto FC (2007-08), New York (2008-10) and Chivas (2011).
Says Bruce Arena: “Boyens is a player I've been following for years. A good teammate and a pretty solid center back who offers cover in the position.”
- CHRIS LEITCH
Who is he? Veteran outside back, 32, who has lost a step -- and with it his job to younger, cheaper talent. He can play on either side at the back and provides needed cover on the right with Sean Franklin's situation still unclear. He's started more than 25 games three times in a 10-year career, the last in 2009, but ended 2011 by seeing action in just one of San Jose's final 13 games.
2011 contract: $106,050, with San Jose.
Numbers: 14 games (12 starts, 1,115 minutes) with one assist in 2011; 205 games (184 starts) with 14 assists in 10 seasons with Columbus (2002), MetroStars (2003-05), Columbus again (2006), New York again (2007-08) and San Jose (2009-11).
Says Bruce Arena: “Chris Leitch is a very experienced player -- I had him [when I was head coach] in New York. He's a player who can offer cover at right back and left back and also can play a little center back. He's an experienced player who can help our roster.”
The Galaxy made the deepest plunge in Major League Soccer's second-stage re-entry draft, grabbing the rights to four veterans in positions Bruce Arena said the club needed depth and keeping the rights to two defenders whose options had been declined.
But the biggest acquisition the Galaxy coach/general manager mentioned in Monday's post-draft teleconference isn't official. Yet.
Arena said L.A., indeed, has signed Brazilian midfielder Marcelo Sarvas from Costa Rican power Alajuelense. Sarvas, 30, last week told Costa Rican website Al Pie del Deporte that he had agreed to a two-year deal with the Galaxy.
Asked about Sarvas, Arena first hesitated and asked the Galaxy's media director where the club stood on an announcement. Then he said: “We've signed that player, and we will in the next day or two get out a release on him. He's a good, experienced, two-way midfielder I think is going to help our team.”
So, in theory, will goalkeeper Jon Conway, defenders Andrew Boyens and Chris Leitch, and forward Pat Noonan, whose rights were acquired during Monday's draft. The Galaxy also reacquired the rights to defenders Frankie Hejduk and Dasan Robinson.
“Our selections were based simply on covering some positions, and as you know the rules, we have seven days to reach agreement with the players,” Arena said. “Whether we do or not remains to be seen. What we were able to do is select players in some positions we believe we need cover for. They're all veteran players, they have experience, and they're good players for the locker room. At the end of the day, if we get some of them or all of them, they'll all be a positive asset for our team.”
The Galaxy took Boyens, 28, a tall central defender from New Zealand who played in a dozen league games last season for Chivas USA, with the fifth selection of the first round. Leitch, 32, an outside back who has spent the past three seasons in San Jose, was taken at the end of the second round.
By then everybody else was done, and Arena added Noonan, 31, from Seattle and Conway, 34, from Chicago, then grabbed the rights to Hejduk, a reserve outside back for L.A. last season, and Robinson, a center back whom L.A. acquired in a trade from Toronto FC in September.