Los Angeles Soccer: Nicolas Assad
Cal State L.A. toppled California Collegiate Athletic Association rival Chico State from the spot after a 2-2 draw in the first game of a doubleheader at Seattle Pacific University.
The host Falcons struck 79 seconds into overtime to knock out Dominguez Hills, 2-1.
Cal State L.A. (14-1-6), No. 17 in the D2 rankings, and No. 13 Seattle Pacific (14-3-2) meet Saturday night in a second-round game.
The Golden Eagles overcame a 2-0 deficit as Jason Swope converted a 67th-minute penalty kick after drawing a foul and Rosario Bras tallied off Marc Hess' free kick in the 83rd. The goals were Swope's and Bras' 11th of the season.
All four Cal State L.A. shooters -- Hess, Antti Arvola, Swope and Nicolas Assad (Winnetka/El Camino Real HS and Moorpark College) -- converted in the 4-1 triumph on penalty kicks. Goalkeeper Waleed Cassis made one stop, on Ferid Celosmanovic.
Chico State, which lost to Cal State L.A. in Sunday's CCAA tournament title game, outshot the Eagles, 22-12, but put only four attempts on target. The Wildcats (13-4-4) went ahead on Chris Akwaja's 36th minute header and were up, 2-0, when Octavio Guzman tallied 1:41 before Swope's PK.
In the second game, Dominguez Hills (12-6-2) forced overtime when Jordan Rover (Los Alamitos/Los Alamitos HS) scored with just four seconds to go in regulation, but Christopher Morris' header from Evan Robicheau's 35-yard free kick at the start of the extra period sent Seattle Pacific through.
Jon Pearman scored in the ninth minute, from Morris' pass, to give the Falcons an early lead.
Pepperdine's dream of an unbeaten season ended Friday night to a goal scored with just eight seconds to go in the first half.
No. 10 Santa Clara pulled out a 1-0 triumph over the third-ranked Waves, vaulting into the top spot in the West Coast Conference when Bridgett Miller (Los Angeles/Archer School for Girls) put away a deflected free kick in the Bay Area showdown.
Roxanne Barker (Irvine/Woodbridge HS) made two big saves to keep Pepperdine (13-1-4) level, but there were no answers for Miller's goal.
“[Santa Clara is] a good team, and, to their credit, they came out firing, and we came out flat,” Waves head coach Tim Ward told his school's athletics web site. “As poorly as we were playing in the first half, I thought we were going to come out with a 0-0 score at half, but, unfortunately,
it didn't happen.
“The second half, we played much better and had some excellent scoring opportunties.”
The best was a Myriah Stockman try off a corner kick in the 52nd minute that Broncos goalkeeper Bianca Henninger saved.
Santa Clara (12-1-5) is 5-0-1 in the WCC. The Waves, who are home Sunday against Portland, and San Diego are 5-1; BYU is 4-1-1.
The loss ended a program-record 18-game unbeaten streak for Pepperdine,
In other women´s action:
- Taylor Nelson (Garden Grove/Pacifica HS) and Nicole Sweetman (Oxnard/Oaks Christian HS and UCLA) scored goals three minutes apart early in the second half as Long Beach State (12-5-1) clinched a Big West Conference tournament berth and climbed within a point of first-place UC Irvine with one game to go with a 2-0 victory over visiting UC Davis.
- Sydney Leroux netted her second first-half hat trick in as many weeks and Jenna Richmond added two goals as sixth-ranked UCLA (13-1-2) romped to an 8-0 Pacific 12 Conference victory at Colorado.
- Lauren Mellano (Fullerton/Troy HS) scored 105 seconds into overtime as Cal State Fullerton (8-8-3) edged Pacific, 1-0, in Big West play. The Titans tied an NCAA record (set in 2005 by William & Mary) with their 11th overtime game of the season and are 4-4-3 in games with the extra period.
- USC (6-12-0) saw its three-game winning streak halted in a 3-0 Pac-12 loss at Utah.
Natalia Ledezma netted a hat trick and UC Irvine took a huge step toward successive Big West Conference regular-season titles Sunday afternoon, romping to a 4-0 victory in a first-place showdown at Cal State Northridge.
Ledezma (La Mirada/La Mirada HS), a sophomore transfer from UCLA, followed a third-minute own goal with strikes in the 11th, 66th and 77th minutes as the Anteaters (12-3-2) improved to 5-1-1 in the Big West. Ledezma, who netted the first hat trick for UCI in 15 years, has 11 goals this season.
Northridge (6-8-2), a surprise contender for the conference title, fell to 4-2-1 in conference play. UC Davis (4-1-1) and Long Beach State (4-2) also are in the battle for the conference title.
Irvine and Northridge each have one conference match remaining.
In other women's action:
- Laura Cole (Whittier/La Habra HS) and Amanda LeCave scored first-half goals as No. 4 Pepperdine (13-0-4) extended its unbeaten streak to 18 games with a 2-1 West Coast Conference victory at St. Mary's. The Waves are 5-0 in WCC play and stand two points in front of Santa Clara, which it faces Friday in the Bay Area.
- Chelsea Stewart scored in the 28th minute and fed Jenna Richmond for a goal in the 35th, and No. 7 UCLA (12-1-2) toppled visiting Arizona State, 2-0, in a Pacific 12 Conference clash.
- Elizabeth Eddy scored on a 60th-minute breakaway as USC (6-11-0) claimed its third straight Pac-12 victory, beating visiting Arizona, 1-0.