Los Angeles Soccer: Vicki DiMartino
December, 3, 2010
By Scott French | ESPNLosAngeles.com
Stanford's Christen Press and California's Alex Morgan, two of the top three forwards in college women's soccer, took their expected spots on the NCAA Division I All-America team released Friday.
Press (Palos Verdes Estates/Chadwick School), Morgan (Diamond Bar/Diamond Bar HS) and UC Irvine defender CoCo Goodson were first-team selections by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America.
Press, the nation's top scorer with 26 goals and eight assists, is one of four players from Stanford on the NSCAA's four teams. The top ranked Cardinal plays in the NCAA College Cup semifinals Friday afternoon against Boston College.
Morgan, limited to 12 games by her duties with the U.S. women's national team, scored 14 goals for Cal. Goodson led UC Irvine to 19 wins and the round of 16 in its first NCAA Tournament appearance.
In all, eight local players were selected to the team.
- UCLA defender Lauren Barnes (Upland/Upland HS), on the third team
- UCLA forward Sydney Leroux -- the third elite college forward -- on the third team
- UC Irvine forward Tanya Taylor (Buena Park/Sunny Hills HS), another third-teamer
- Oregon State goalkeeper Colleen Boyd (La Caņada Flintridge/La Caņada HS), also on the third team
- Boston University forward Lisa Kevorkian (Arcadia/Monrovia HS), a fourth-team selection