Thursday, August 18, 2011
Thursday football practice notes
By Peter Yoon
It was a pretty light practice for UCLA Thursday as many of the starters rested the last portion in order to keep fresh for Saturday's scrimmage.
A couple of noteworthy items:
- Kicker Kip Smith looked great in an early drill, nailing four out of four attempts and making solid kicks on all four. Later, however, things didn't go as well when put into a pseudo-live situation. He made two out of five with players yelling and screaming behind him, coach Rick Neuheisel blowing a whistle and special teams coach Angus McClure squirting water in Smith's direction. On the last one, Neuheisel laid down on the ground right in front of Smith, who pushed the attempt to the right.
- Linebacker Sean Westgate sat out because of illness but is expected to be back for the scrimmage. Eric Kendricks filled in on the first team.
- Defensive back Jamie Graham returned to the sidelines only one day after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus. He was on crutches and in good spirits and said the surgery went well and that he would be back "sooner than everyone thinks."
- Linebacker Jordan Zumwalt is fully recovered from a concussion and was practicing without the red no-contact jersey he had been wearing the last two days.
- Sean "P. Diddy" Combs who caused quite a stir when he came to practice Wednesday morning, attended practice again, but this visit was decidedly more low key. He entered inconspicuously without an entourage and watched briefly from a far corner before exiting out a back gate. Combs is at UCLA with his son Justin, a high school cornerback recruit making an unofficial visit.