Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Practice report: Wednesday quick hits
By Peter Yoon
UCLA practiced through an unusually hot afternoon in Westwood, going in full pads for the second practice of the bye week.
The Bruins will practice again Thursday and then take Friday and Saturday off before beginning game-week preparations for Arizona on Sunday. UCLA plays in Tucson on Thursday, Oct. 20, so the game week gets moved up a couple of days.
"I thought our guys pushed through and we got a lot accomplished," coach Rick Neuheisel said. "I think we’ll feel real good about it when we look at the film. We’ll try to get one more of those tomorrow and then give them a couple of days off, get their legs back and away we go on Sunday."
Neuheisel said he and the coaching staff would spend the weekend recruiting.
"We'll try to get out and about to all the local hotshots and make sure they know the Bruins are alive and well and engaging all the top student athletes in the area," Neuheisel said. "It’s a busy time, an important time and I think an exciting time as well, so looking forward to it."
A few tidbits:
- Brett Hundley got a little more time in the passing game but seems to have a tendency to lock on to his primary receiver. Neuheisel said that's normal for freshmen. "I think all young quarterbacks do," Neuheisel said. "You have an idea of what a pass play is supposed to look like and you go to where it normally goes. When that breaks down, the question is how quickly do you move on? But everybody starts that way. But I think he’s moving quickly through that. Is he ready to do that with everything we have in our offense? I don’t think so, but still I’m pleased with his progress."
- Neuheisel is not pleased with the way Hundley is carrying the ball when he runs, however. For the second consecutive day, Neuheisel made Hundley do pushups because he didn't ave the ball tucked close to his body when scrambling away from pressure. "I just want him to understand that he’s playing at a different level and there are going to be strong guys trying to grab that ball and it’s important that he secure it," Neuheisel said.
- Offensive lineman Albert Cid did not dress for practice. Cid left the practice field with shortness of breath Tuesday and it's thought that and an illness is the cause, so he was held out for precautionary reasons.
- Offensive lineman Chris Ward went back to full speed after missing the last week because of a shoulder injury. He was playing mostly with the No. 2 offensive line, but got some reps at No. 1 guard as well.
- Linebacker Glenn Love was participating in team drills for the first time since pulling a hamstring two weeks ago.
- The receiving corps is still a little thin with Nelson Rosario again sitting out because of a sprained foot and Shaquelle Evans not dressed because of concussion symptoms. Jerry Johnson's on-again, off-again practice routine continued and he sat out.
- Cornerback Sheldon Price dressed in shorts and shoulder pads only and did some light work on the side. Safeties Tony Dye (neck) and Alex Mascarenas (concussion) also remained out.
- Defensive lineman Justin Edison was out of his red no-contact jersey, an indication that he has cleared the concussion protocol.