Print and Go Back ESPN.com: USC [Print without images]

Sunday, July 29, 2012
Basketball: USC gets first 2013 commit

By Pedro Moura

Connecticut prep guard Kahlil Dukes (Hartford, Conn./Capital Prep) committed to the USC basketball program Sunday, becoming the Trojans' first Class of 2013 commitment.

Dukes, a 5-11, 160-pound combo guard, is listed as a two-star prospect by ESPN Recruiting. His stock was rising on the summer circuit after he received an offer from the Trojans in April, and he was one of the leading scorers at the Adidas Super 64 tournament in Indianapolis earlier this month.

His other offers include Loyola Marymount, Drexel and UTEP. He said he felt compelled to commit to USC because of the level of competition in the Trojans' conference and because of the school's location. He's interested in a career in the film industry and plans to major in cinematic arts at USC.

"I feel like I'll be playing Pac-12 basketball and being in L.A., learning what I want to do," Dukes said Sunday in a phone interview. "It'll be the best of both worlds."

Dukes said he wasn't turned off by USC's 6-26 record in 2011-2012 because his high school program didn't win a game its first season and had quickly risen to state-championship contending status during his tenure.

He also said USC's Kevin O'Neill told him he would be a point guard for the Trojans.