Friday, January 29, 2010
Friday links and notes
By Pedro Moura
With official visits occurring all weekend, the USC campus is abuzz with recruits. Here are a few links and notes on today's USC-related news:
- The list of recruits visiting USC has been reported across the internet, with some variance between reports. I can confirm linebacker Jordan Zumwalt (Huntington Beach, Calif.) is visiting. A schedule for the visits is posted here, on USC's official site.
- Matt Barkley's father Les, an ex-Trojan, is in Haiti this week, according to tweets from Brice Butler and Barkley. Matt Barkley was on campus with his mother this afternoon.
- Former USC linebacker Rey Maualuga was arrested early Friday morning in northern Kentucky on drunk-driving charges. Maualuga pleaded not guilty and was released at approximately 10:30 a.m. Friday. The Cincinnati Enquirer reports Maualuga had a blood-alcohol level of .157, nearly twice the legal limit. He is scheduled to appear in court Feb. 25.
- On that note, another former Trojans linebacker, NFL defensive rookie of the year Brian Cushing, is attending classes this semester at USC to complete his degree.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers sent out news releases today about the Feb. 28 inaugural Dodgertown Classic. USC and UCLA baseball will match up at Dodger Stadium as part of a four-team mini tournament. The Dodgers are marketing the game with an April 29 USC Night at the stadium. More information can be found here.
- USC basketball has an early game Saturday at 3 p.m. in Eugene, Ore. It will be the Trojans' last visit to Oregon's legendary MacArthur Court, in its 83rd year. "The Pit", as it is known, will be replaced by the new, $200-million Matthew Knight Arena by this time next year. The Ducks beat UCLA in overtime Thursday, 71-66.