Saturday, October 22, 2011
Game-time updates: Notre Dame
By Pedro Moura
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- We're just about set to go here at Notre Dame Stadium for the Trojans' 4:30 p.m. PT game against the Fighting Irish. Here are a couple of last-minute things worthy of an update before kickoff:
- Marc Tyler is in uniform and participated in all of the Trojans' warmups prior to the game. It'll be either him or Curtis McNeal getting the start for USC at running back, with McNeal likely to pick up the majority of the carries. Look for George Farmer to get some chances as well. Brian Kelly and Notre Dame have little to no idea what his running style's like.
- As we reported Friday, running back Dillon Baxter did not accompany the team to South Bend. Neither did cornerback Torin Harris, who's out with a shoulder injury. With him out, Tony Burnett and Isiah Wiley will have to take all the second and third corner snaps, supplanting one-side starter Nickell Robey.
- Also in uniform for the game is redshirt freshman quarterback Jesse Scroggins, who returned to practice last week after missing the first five games with a thumb injury. This is his first game in uniform this season. Freshman receiver Marqise Lee, who sprained the AC joint in his shoulder last week against Cal, warmed up with the rest of the team as well.
- Notre Dame's helmets are gold, and they are very shiny. The things stand out from a mile away. In pregame warmups, the Irish are sporting navy blue jerseys and gold pants, but they might not be wearing those once the game starts, if past precedent is any indication. It'll be interesting to see how what sort of role the uniforms play in this game. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to have glare produced off the helmets affect Matt Barkley's vision in the pocket. The Trojans are wearing their standard road whites.
- It'll be entirely dark at kickoff, for the first time since 1990. Kickoff temperature is projected to be 56 degrees, but it should drop to as low as about 46 by the fourth quarter. Also, in attendance tonight are former Trojans Taylor Mays and Rey Maualuga, who now play for the NFL's Cincinnati Bengals.
Join us here on the USC Report on ESPNLA.com beginning at 4:30 p.m. PT as Mark Saxon and I keep you updated throughout the game in Trojans Live!, an interactive live chat where we provide updates on game action and answer any and all questions.