USC: Rocky Seto
January, 27, 2010
By Pedro Moura | ESPNLosAngeles.com
Wednesday's USC-related news:
- The football coaching staff continues to experience turnover. Interim head strength and conditioning coach Jamie Yanchar resignedtoday to take a similar position with the Seattle Seahawks. Yanchar had taken over the position two days ago when long-time head strength coach Chris Carlisle also left to join former USC coach Pete Carroll with the Seahawks. This while 2009 defensive coordinator Rocky Seto left the program and Joe Barry has reportedly been hired as linebackers coach.
- The recruiting chips are beginning to fall — slowly, very slowly. According to his hometown station's Twitter, Texas high school running back Lache Seastrunk chose Oregon over USC today. Seastrunk had previously been projected by many as a likely USC commit.
- The L.A. Daily News' Scott Wolf reports that USC picked upwalk-on quarterback Brett Kan, a transfer from Princeton. Kan played alongside current backup offensive lineman Abe Markowitz at Hawaii's Punahou School. Kan could compete with walk-on John Manoogian and incoming recruit Jesse Scroggins for the third-string quarterback spot next season.
- While football players Jordan Cameron and James Boyd aren't suiting up for the basketball team, other Trojans are competing in spring sports. Receiver Travon Patterson is practicing with the track team, according to one of his Twitter posts, Markowitz is continuing as a thrower, and — as we mentioned here last week — freshman safety Jawanza Starling is practicing as a backup outfielder on the baseball team.
- USC men's basketball coach Kevin O'Neill on his team's resiliency as they depart for Oregon this afternoon: “We have character guys. These guys are high-character players, high-character human beings. And they haven’t just trudged through the sanctions. ... I think they’re a pretty resilient group."